Looking to get a shotgun for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a shotgun for my daughter

She is five years olds. I am wanting to get her into hunting. Want a shotgun she can grow and learn with. Looking at mossberg 500 youth models. Any other suggestions?

Question, has she shot other guns yet? There is something to be said for the gradual stepping up from bb to 22 to shotgun. Even a .410 can be a lot for a 5 year old so unless she's truly familiar with what's going to happen when she pulls the trigger and she's really enthusiastic about it I'd proceed with extreme caution. That being said the 500 is a great youth gun many come with adjustable length of pull and I'm not 100% sure if they still do but they used to come with a coupon for 50% off an adult stock.

Comment

Be careful when introducing youngsters to gun handling. Many don't have the upper body strength to hold and properly shoulder a gun until their weight is about 80 lbs.

Phil Bourjaily did a series about bringing a young'un up to enjoy the shooting sports a while back. It might be still in his blog history on the magazine site.

Edit: I was wrong, not in his blogs. Must be a story or two he did. Hopefully, someone else can help link you to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tko88 View Post
        Question, has she shot other guns yet? There is something to be said for the gradual stepping up from bb to 22 to shotgun. Even a .410 can be a lot for a 5 year old so unless she's truly familiar with what's going to happen when she pulls the trigger and she's really enthusiastic about it I'd proceed with extreme caution. That being said the 500 is a great youth gun many come with adjustable length of pull and I'm not 100% sure if they still do but they used to come with a coupon for 50% off an adult stock.
        Still have the spacers, and coupon.

Comment

I bought my son a 20 ga 500 when he was ten, he handled the recoil of light target loads better than his mother did when she tried it. It knocked his two year younger sister back so hard she almost dropped the gun.Magnum turkey loads did get his attention so we used pheasant loads to kill his first two turkeys. I think the synthetic 500's are around 5 lbs, so even a .410 is going to kick. I'd hold off a bit, my daughter is 10 now, and I'm still going to wait before putting the 500 back in her hands.

Comment

Five is way too young. Age twelve was the starting point in Montana back in my day although I understand there's a new program that cuts them in somehow at an earlier age these days.

Comment

It is pretty rare that a five year old survives pulling the trigger on a shotgun of any kind. They will live but they will most likely learn to hate their father and anything that goes bang for the rest of their life. A five year old is barely ready for a BB gun; then a pellet gun and then a .22 is a more logical order to teaching young ones to enjoy shooting sports.

We were just talking this morning about an eight year old girl this morning who has been turned off hunting for life because her father made her shoot at a deer with a .243 last year. She shut her eyes when she pulled the trigger out of fear and still feels humiliated because she missed the deer. If there is a hunter living vicariously through his child, I'd ask them to take another look at themselves to verify it isn't they themselves that are driving the need for five year old shotgun shooting.

When a youngster is ready to shoot one, a .410 is the way to go. They will outgrow it quickly but it will be more fun for them to shoot with light loads. After a year or two, they will be ready for a nice 20 gauge. I used a side-by-side double barrel 20 gauge until I was about 16 and it was great for rabbit pheasant, quail and squirrel hunting. I tried a 12 gauge when I was 14 and refused to shoot one again for two years. It was the worst hunting experience of my life. My buddy was forced to use a 30-06 for his first year of deer hunting at the age of 14. He fired it a couple of times and it ruined his hunting forever. He never got a deer with it because he shut his eyes to shoot out of fear. He has never hunted deer another day since and after 65 more years has never hunted deer again. Says it was the worst experience of his life and he would never subject himself to that again. I always feel bad about that because he was my best hunting buddy until that incident.

Comment

I think she is much too young to "want" a shotgun much less "shoot" a shotgun! Ser,If you want a shotgun Man-Up and buy your self a shotgun..........Lol

Comment

Too young, get her a BB or air gun to target shoot with.
                  My Nephew was in a BB gun class that was taught by a State Policeman. The young kids really liked it and got very good with those BB guns.

Comment

I have a 14 year old that loves to shoot. A .22 rifle and 1911 pistol full bore 230 grain target loads. She doesn't like a 30-30 and tolerates the .243 I have for her. I won't let her near a shotgun. We are not bird hunters so no big deal. She goes hunting just to go with dad mostly the older she gets I think the more she likes it. Best advice I can give start slow and small. Let her move at her own pace but stop her before she bites off more than she can chew. I have a problem with recoil to this day because I had to hunt deer with a 12 gauge slug when I was a youngster. I'm a big enough guy to absorb a heavy hit. But I can't hit squat with a heavy recoiling rifle. And I can't seem to fix the problem. And that was 25 years ago. Don't make problem that are difficult to fix and don't chase her away out of fear. If she show an interest foster that interest and help it grow. I have grandsons now and there's not better excuse in the world to buy guns than kids trust me. And the best line is well honey they aren't going to be any cheap in 10 years. Good luck and enjoy te opportunity to make memories with your child.

Comment

The times they are a'changing!
                      But one thing doesn't "change"! A starter gun for a 5yo should be a break action, single shot .410.
                      At 5, they must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
                      They can drag around a single shot, youth model .410 shotgun.
                      They don't even have to start in the field. Set up some plastic pop bottles at 20 feet to start with.
                      I think people make a BIG mistake by starting youngsters on repeating firearms or anything bigger than a .22LR or a .410.

Comment

5 probably is too young for a shotgun as others have said. But it probably won't ruin her. I was 6 first time I shot a gun, it was a 30-30 and I had my eye against the scope, left a scar all the way down my face. But I was so excited to have gotten to shot that even afterwards I still loved it. I think a BB gun would be more fitting. If you have to get a shotgun though a single shot or pump 410 are the way to go, they'll make you think about each shot instead of just pulling the trigger till it's empty.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          The times they are a'changing!
                          But one thing doesn't "change"! A starter gun for a 5yo should be a break action, single shot .410.
                          At 5, they must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
                          They can drag around a single shot, youth model .410 shotgun.
                          They don't even have to start in the field. Set up some plastic pop bottles at 20 feet to start with.
                          I think people make a BIG mistake by starting youngsters on repeating firearms or anything bigger than a .22LR or a .410.
                          FB, I hope your kidding. 410 with a 3" of 11/16oz of shot of 8s in a 5.5 Gun=10.5lb of felt recoil and the same 410 in 2.5" of 8s in 5.5lb gun=7.1lb felt recoil....In a (5) year old girl?? That mite work if she was built like a John-Deer lawn tractor.

Comment

I have to admit I started my son out at 5 with a Rossi .410/.22 with interchangeable barrels. Me and my best friend both had sons, his was a year younger and we bought them the same combo pack. That leather strap on butt pad is the key to success, and 2 1/2" .410 shells kick a WHOLE lot less than the 3" do. http://www.buffaloarms.com/slip_on_and_lace_up_butt_pads_pr-4018.aspx

We had them shooting BB guns and all that first, and iron sights not the scope in the picture. The kids loved them, and of course you have to have your hands on the gun at all times at that age but people mature at different ages and we spent a LOT of time outdoors with our kids.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Got him an 1100 Remington youth model after that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
                                by 99explorer
                                When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
                                Today, 11:11 AM
                              • Abortion Up To States
                                by jhjimbo
                                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                                Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
                                by PigHunter
                                Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
                                Too sexy for your party
                                No way I'm disco dancing...
                                Today, 10:21 AM
                              • TGIF; Party Time
                                by fitch270
                                Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by 99explorer
                                I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
                                Not for reasons of public safety,...
                                Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X