Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for advice on zeroing my T/C Contender "Super 14" (inch barrel) chambered in .41 magnum with a Leupold 4x32 on top. I know for certain it has plenty of power for shots beyond 100 yards for deer but I'm not comfortable with my own ability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    Your 41 Magnum truly NOT a 100Yd Deer Cartridge even out of a 14" Bbl.JMO~ It's a 30/40Yd Round. I would start at 30yd 1" High of bull, would put you +/- at 40+Yd, Bench Rest Target Shooting is a World of Difference then on Live Game Moving(You really have to pick Your Shot & Steady you Cross-Hairs)FYI A good set of Shooting Sticks.
    If you like the 41 Magnum, Marlin made one in it's Mod.1894 Rifle With an 18" & 20"Bbl, That would be a 100yd Deer Rifle. In Truth almost every Cartridge will shoot a Mile. Handgun Hunting is a 50yd Sport. To Dispatch a Deer....More then that you have a Runner. just saying

Comment

Killing deer is one thing Finding the dead deer is another.
      Good idea to limit shots to 100 yds and in.

The older I get the less stress I need. Shorter and wider bloodtrails are preferred.

Contenders can really up the performance. Push em faster, better have the right bullet for that.

4X scope.............sucks in the timber. If field hunting, might want a longer zero. If in the woods, I'd set it dead on at 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
        Your 41 Magnum truly NOT a 100Yd Deer Cartridge even out of a 14" Bbl.JMO~ It's a 30/40Yd Round. I would start at 30yd 1" High of bull, would put you +/- at 40+Yd, Bench Rest Target Shooting is a World of Difference then on Live Game Moving(You really have to pick Your Shot & Steady you Cross-Hairs)FYI A good set of Shooting Sticks.
        30 to 40 yards? LMAO

TC really ups the performance.

I'd run it to 100.

Comment

For deer inside of 100 yds you might want to try a red dot sight. No mag to enhance wobble, no image trying to focus way back onto the eyeball...........they make handgun shooting a lot easier.

Throw a set of Pachmayr Grippers on that TC to make it even easier ;-)

If I find another .35 Rem Super 14 bbl it'll wear a reddot.
          The .223 will go 2X, as a finer intersect makes for more fun at the range punching paper. I think a scope wins there.

Had a couple 2.5-7X handgun scopes and while 7X is fun for paper at 100...........I found in the field I was always cranked down to 2.5X.

Hell, last 2 deer I shot with rifle (2-7X Leupold).....were shot at 2 and 3X.

Comment

Originally posted by CCMI_Henry View Post
            I'm looking for advice on zeroing my T/C Contender "Super 14" (inch barrel) chambered in .41 magnum with a Leupold 4x32 on top. I know for certain it has plenty of power for shots beyond 100 yards for deer but I'm not comfortable with my own ability for anything beyond that. So, bearing that in mind, where do you recommend I zero in, and why?
            I know this is a really old thread, but the information/advice you have been given about it be a sub-50 yard or sub-100 yards cartridge for deer is simply a lie.
            The cartridge is more than capable, even in a shorter revolver, little alone in a Super 14 Contender.
            Don't let other people's own limitations, keep you from using your own ability.
            My 357 Magnum hunting revolvers and 44 Magnum hunting revolvers have a 100 yard zero.
            There is nothing wrong with a 50 or 75 yard zero either.
            Set it up the way you want.
            Yes, they have scopes on them.
            A Contender will be a lot easier to shoot from field hunting positions than a revolver will, most generally.
            "Handgun hunting is only a 50 yard sport."
            This is such a false statement, unless it is that shooter's own ability is the limiting factor.
            The cartridge whether in a revolver or specialty pistol is way further than that.

Comment

Shooting off a hard sided blind rail or offhand out of a treestand?

Never been a fan of the 41 mag and dont think the . 44 to be magical.

Are we hunting big ground where theres no worry about dying on the other side of the fence?

Yeah a hole through the lungs will kill em. Id like em down and dead as close as possible.

I run a 2x on my .35 rem. Figure im good to 150. If i can go Creedmoor in a picked field lol....maybe stretch it to 200.

Comment

Shooting 100# deer or 200# deer i think makes a diff too

Comment

Ill run a .44 mag wheel gun to 100 yds. And 357 to 50 yds. Can shoot well farther but dont need the stress.

Can, could and should kinda thing.

Comment

Pops has a 7mm 08 Striker w 3-9x Burris. Thats a hand rifle and cartridge performance really stretches things out LOL

Comment

Just double shoulder shoot and put them down if in heavy cover, whether 357 mag, 41 Mag, or 44 Mag. 14" 308 Winchester MOA at 350 yards: https://youtu.be/dFafJpKGCMs

Comment

If you start at around 1:20, I move back and shoot starting at 200 yards to 600 yards on 10" steel with a center-grip XP-100 using a bi-pod and small field bag. I had been confirming my drops with a new load and did not have a spotter. You can see start to finish if you want by looking on my you tube page.
                        https://youtu.be/n7xtW8d4I2o
                        I have killed a number of big game past 400 yards with specialty pistols.

Comment

Always liked the XP100s, but find the Contender less bulky.
                          For me I don't need the higher pressure cartridges so the little TC works OK.
                          Might take mine out this weekend.
                          Still kick myself for passing on a last run XP100 in black stock, heavy bbl .223.
                          Woulda been a fun yote popper.
                          Was yrs ago.

Coworker had the XP100R in .350 rem mag.
                          I never shot it.

Be kinda cool to have a .300 Savage bbl put on pops' striker.
                          Just to be different.

Don't really hunt open places now.
                          Sticks or bipod overlooking a valley would be perfect for such a rig.

Comment

I hunt close quarters with my specialty pistols and revolvers, and sometimes I stretch things out.
                            Shot a doe earlier this week from this set-up at under 50 yards. Of course, it is capable way beyond that.
                            https://youtu.be/U_Q_uBnTOzE

Comment

Also, do not doubt the accuracy capability of a revolver at distances that are further than you are comfortable shooting at yourself.
                              https://youtu.be/ZcyPO0nPAf0
                              FWIW I have shot a 41 Mag revolver way beyond 100 yards accurately from field shooting positions.

Comment

Never tried a Dominator.
                                Popped an 8 pointer once at 150, w a .44 mag Ruger SRH.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad