Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for advice on zeroing my T/C Contender "Super 14" (inch barrel) chambered in .41 magnum with a Leupold 4x32 on top. I know for certain it has plenty of power for shots beyond 100 yards for deer but I'm not comfortable with my own ability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for advice on zeroing my T/C Contender "Super 14" (inch barrel) chambered in .41 magnum with a Leupold 4x32 on top. I know for certain it has plenty of power for shots beyond 100 yards for deer but I'm not comfortable with my own ability

I'm looking for advice on zeroing my T/C Contender "Super 14" (inch barrel) chambered in .41 magnum with a Leupold 4x32 on top. I know for certain it has plenty of power for shots beyond 100 yards for deer but I'm not comfortable with my own ability for anything beyond that. So, bearing that in mind, where do you recommend I zero in, and why?

I would not shoot at a deer beyond 100yds with a .41mag. Actually I would keep it to under 75yds. JMO

Comment

Your 41 Magnum truly NOT a 100Yd Deer Cartridge even out of a 14" Bbl.JMO~ It's a 30/40Yd Round. I would start at 30yd 1" High of bull, would put you +/- at 40+Yd, Bench Rest Target Shooting is a World of Difference then on Live Game Moving(You really have to pick Your Shot & Steady you Cross-Hairs)FYI A good set of Shooting Sticks.

Comment

Depends on which load you are shooting out of your .41 Mag. A T/C Contender will handle some fairly hot handloads, but even with a hot handload and a good meplat bullet, it would be marginal for deer at anything beyond 100 yds. and 100 yds. would be my absolute limit. JMHO.
        I think I would zero for 75 yds. (well within capability), and shoot at 50 and 100 yds. to ascertain the exact trajectory. Bear in mind even "hot" pistol rounds tend to lose steam very fast downrange.

Comment

I wouldn't plan on shooting deer beyond about 75 yards with this pistol bullet. It just doesn't have enough energy beyond that to kill deer mercifully. Zero for the average range that you expect most of your shots... say 40 yards. Then practice shooting at ranges from 10 to 70 yards and notice the point of impact so you know what to expect as the bullet arcs on its trajectory.

Comment

I shoot a S&W M57 8 3/8".
            Dead on at 25. A tad high at 100.
            I shoot handloaded 200gr JHP.
            I trust the cartridge at 100, I don't trust ME beyond 100 yards! LOL!
            Actually, I'm shooting iron sights and don't trust myself over about 75 yards.
            I will suggest, however, you be very selective with your shots and leave the marginal shots to rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I would not shoot at a deer beyond 100yds with a .41mag. Actually I would keep it to under 75yds. JMO
              I'm in Oklahoma so most of my shots are between 50 and 75. But i certainly appreciate the feedback! +1 to you

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                Depends on which load you are shooting out of your .41 Mag. A T/C Contender will handle some fairly hot handloads, but even with a hot handload and a good meplat bullet, it would be marginal for deer at anything beyond 100 yds. and 100 yds. would be my absolute limit. JMHO.
                I think I would zero for 75 yds. (well within capability), and shoot at 50 and 100 yds. to ascertain the exact trajectory. Bear in mind even "hot" pistol rounds tend to lose steam very fast downrange.
                Sighted in at 75 this morning. Just under 2 inch group. It'll work, and thanks for the feedback. +1

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  Your 41 Magnum truly NOT a 100Yd Deer Cartridge even out of a 14" Bbl.JMO~ It's a 30/40Yd Round. I would start at 30yd 1" High of bull, would put you +/- at 40+Yd, Bench Rest Target Shooting is a World of Difference then on Live Game Moving(You really have to pick Your Shot & Steady you Cross-Hairs)FYI A good set of Shooting Sticks.
                  Thanks Treestand. It sounds to me that there's a lot of opinions that the 41 is a short distance gun. Thanks for the feedback. +1

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    I will suggest, however, you be very selective with your shots and leave the marginal shots to rifles.
                    My sentiments exactly! Thanks for the feedback. +1 to you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                      I wouldn't plan on shooting deer beyond about 75 yards with this pistol bullet. It just doesn't have enough energy beyond that to kill deer mercifully. Zero for the average range that you expect most of your shots... say 40 yards. Then practice shooting at ranges from 10 to 70 yards and notice the point of impact so you know what to expect as the bullet arcs on its trajectory.
                      I'll enjoy the range time, lol. I'm at the range now. The thing kicks like a mule. +1

Comment

If you sight in around 70-80 yards you would have a MPBR of about 100 yards. I'm not sure I would take that shot though. Probably keep it within 75 yards and you'd be better off.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                          If you sight in around 70-80 yards you would have a MPBR of about 100 yards. I'm not sure I would take that shot though. Probably keep it within 75 yards and you'd be better off.
                          That seems to be the general consensus on the forum. I'll certainly take everyone's advise this season. Thanks fir the feedback as well. +1

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            I'm in SW Ok. Where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                              If you like the 41 Magnum, Marlin made one in it's Mod.1894 Rifle With an 18" & 20"Bbl, That would be a 100yd Deer Rifle. In Truth almost every Cartridge will shoot a Mile. Handgun Hunting is a 50yd Sport. To Dispatch a Deer....More then that you have a Runner. just saying

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad