Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't get to go to the firing range much, I shoot my air rifle fairly reguarly but how can I improve my accuracy with my shotgun and hunting rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get to go to the firing range much, I shoot my air rifle fairly reguarly but how can I improve my accuracy with my shotgun and hunting rifle?

I don't get to go to the firing range much, I shoot my air rifle fairly reguarly but how can I improve my accuracy with my shotgun and hunting rifle?

Jeff Cooper wrote in The Art of the Rifle to "dry fire at the TV". He also mentioned to make sure it's unloaded. Practice proper shooting positions while sighting at a mark and "click". Where was the cross hair when the hammer fell? Don't dry fire a rimfire.

Comment

No matter what you are shooting practice the basics; breath control, sight picture, trigger pull, follow through, for rifles and handguns. Mounting, check weld, front bead and trigger control for shotgun. Plenty of dry fire practice will make your range time more productive. If you don't want to dry fire your rifle/shotgun use a spent shell or snap caps. Practice your shooting positions from prone to sitting, kneeling, standing supported and off hand concentrating on correct form for all those positions. If you think you would be using shooting sticks practice with those as well. If you do not know the correct positions and how to get into them pick up a good shooting manual that has them illustrated and described. Once you get to the range don't just shoot from the bench unless you are sighting in a scope or adjustable sights. Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

At some time you will actually have to shoot and learn to deal with the recoil. Many ammo brands make low recoil rounds that can help you practice without being pounded too hard. Technique, a heavier rifle and the right ammo can make a big difference as well as only shooting a few rounds at a time.

Comment

There are some handling exercises you can do with an unloaded gun that can help.

I will post one here, and you can look for others.
          http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2013/08/practice-your-gun-mounts

One way I like if you have a bore laser and a friend is go to a semi-dark room, and have them stand behind you with a flash light. Have them point the light randomly. You then practice mounting the gun and putting the laser in the center of the flashlight circle. To make it more interesting you can start keeping a counter with a set time before your friend moves the target, and keeping score for if you can get on target before he/she moves it.

If you have money, they make indoor trap simulators as well, like laser tag.

I save on ammo costs by using a .22lr that is very similar to my deer rifle. They have indoor .22lr bullet traps, but I don't know how well that would serve you, if you're too close you're not doing yourself any favors.

Comment

You have to shoot more. Your airgun is good practice, as long as it is accurate. I would highly recommend getting a .22lr that is similar to your hunting rifle. If you put 1000+ rounds per year through that, your shooting is probably going to improve significantly.

Comment

For rifle doing what you are doing will do wonders for you when you get to the range. Air rifles and rimfires really helped me keep my skills sharp for when I was able to shoot my centerfire.
              For shotguns like some have mentioned, practicing your mount and swing is priceless. It makes all the difference for me when I hunt. I can tell, and I mean really tell, when I have practiced enough and when I haven't. I like to make sure my shotgun is unloaded then do some mounts, then do a mount and swing combo where I follow the seam between the wall and ceiling. I will also dry fire half way down the seam and keep swinging to practice my swing through.
              Any practice you do at home will pay dividends when you make to the range.

Comment

Practice, practice, and more practice. Get a .22 or light centerfire rifle and develop good form and technique in all positions. If you just go and shoot it should happen on its own.

Comment

Hey,
                  You have to only do more practice. Hopefully you will get your target easily.
                  All the Best.

Comment

You can do a few things to improve:
                    1. Practice as much as possible. For the shotgun, throwing up 2" blocks and shooting them with your BB gun is a good start. Reloading will reduce your ammo cost so doing that will help over the long run too.
                    2. Learn aggressively. The Internet is full of wisdom... use it.
                    3. Get into competitive shooting. You will learn quickly from others who are exceptional shooters.

Comment

You can improve your overall skills with the air rifle, but as for individual guns, you really need to practice with those.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad