Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm curious how many of you use a store-bought gun vise for cleaning, mounting, etc. vs. making one out of wood/holding the gun in your hand. Any favorites out there? Brilliant designs? Pictures are welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm curious how many of you use a store-bought gun vise for cleaning, mounting, etc. vs. making one out of wood/holding the gun in your hand. Any favorites out there? Brilliant designs? Pictures are welcome!

I'm curious how many of you use a store-bought gun vise for cleaning, mounting, etc. vs. making one out of wood/holding the gun in your hand. Any favorites out there? Brilliant designs? Pictures are welcome!

I always used a folding card table, rags, and my hands.

Comment

I have one I use regularly.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
        I always used a folding card table, rags, and my hands.
        Otis gun cleaning system, an old blanket spread out on the floor, my hands and Remington Oil and cleaners.

Comment

I have one that must be thirty years old---still works fine. Forget where I got it.

Comment

At Camp #1 and Camp #2 We use a Sight Vise by Lohman made in U.S.A. found at Wal*Mart $29.99 It's hard to beat for the Money.

Comment

For my AR's, I cut a 1x4 hole in my bench top. I then laminated .25" plywood to fit the mag well.
              My bench vise is an el cheapo 3" Chinese boat anchor. More 1/4" ply with leather pads holds rifles in any position.
              Two chunks of an old hard wood table top. Drilled 3/4" hole between them left a 3/8" deep groove. Lined grooves with leather and acts as a pad. Place around barrel and clamp in vise. Rifle can be turned, twisted in any direction.

Comment

I have a Tipton Gun Butler for holding long arms for cleaning, mounting scopes, bore sighting and so on. Very inexpensive and very good value. It holds the firearm steady, but can easily be carried around - from the shelf to the bench to the range or wherever.

It would probably be easy enough to knock up something similar, and I've improvised similar devices from cardboard boxes with a notch in each side, but for about $30 or less you can buy one of these.

Comment

I use the same one pictured by jhjimbo. It has served me well.

Comment

Treestand and I must think alike.
                    I also use a Sight Vise made by Lohman Mfg Co. in Neosho, Mo. It has padded jaws fore and aft, with three rubber feet.
                    I use it while standing at a bar counter which is just the right height.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                      I also use a Sight Vise made by Lohman Mfg Co. in Neosho, Mo. It has padded jaws fore and aft, with three rubber feet.
                      Hey 99, It's a Great Tool on our Bench Rest Tables for Scope Mounting,Bore Sighting and Test firing Rifles.

Comment

And the third foot is adjustable for elevation with a little wheel. Great invention.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          I have one I use regularly.
                          That looks like a very elaborate contraption with all those little cups and pockets. I suppose that blue-green bump in the middle is for pistol butts.

Comment

Have one of those too

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                              At Camp #1 and Camp #2 We use a Sight Vise by Lohman made in U.S.A. found at Wal*Mart $29.99 It's hard to beat for the Money.
                              I have the magnum version which is a wee bit bigger than the standard one. I picked it up at a sports shop in Fall River, Mass years ago. I also have a Tipton gun vise similar to the one Jimbo has.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad