Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shoot 12gauge every now and then would it be worth it to reload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I recommend not to do it!!!

Leave a comment:

• tttitans
    replied
    You can save money if you reload. It really depends on how much you shoot. You can save more for reloading sub- gauges. And if you dont want to reload, sell 'em. Post upbulletins at clubs, go to the local gun store, anything. If you sell them to gun stores, they take them in lots of 100. 12 ga., you can get about 4-5 cents apiece for a shell. Loading sub- ga. can easily bring twice that.

Leave a comment:

• maj1996
    replied
    I dont think so.

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    Depends on not only how much you shoot but also if you have the time and money to take up reloading... although it saves you money, it can be quite expensive to start reloading.

Leave a comment:

• Gavin McCall
    replied
    depends on now and then. some of my friends shoot now and then and go through maby a box on an outing which happens every month or so. i shoot every now and then sometimes(when im not shooting often) which means about 100+ shells a week. if im shooting often then 200-300 a week. you could say im addicted to my mossberg 500. i reload, id be stupid not to, prices in my area are around 9-11 bucks a box for craptastic walyworld shells. and 25-30 for anything that id actually shoot in my gun.

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    my opinion is not to reload due to the price of loading equip,shot and powder, shells are cheap enough

Leave a comment:

• 16gapheasantphiend
    replied
    I think overall it has to do with the volume you shoot, if you burn 250 rounds at the range per weekend, reloading is the way to go, if you go out and shoot 25-50 rounds cheaper to buy I don't shoot as much trap as I used to, but I still have so many components around I just keep reloading, but only 1oz target loads specialty loads like pheasant, or handicaps I buy. Bottom line you have to run through a whole lot of shells to make reloading pay back when, or now. But like the others said do the math and see if it's right for you

Leave a comment:

• Armchair Mike
    replied
    You will find that the more you reload, the more you shoot. The more you shoot . . . you get the picture. I reload all the hulls I have in the house, and then I can't wait to go to the range. As soon as I get back, I start wanting to reload some more. Reloading has increased the volume of my shooting quite a bit, and all that practice has improved my form. Cost is not the primary factor in my decision to reload, but there's no way I could afford to shoot factory ammo equivalent in quality to my reloads. Yes, a box of my pet reloads probably costs me more than the cheapest Wally-World junk, but the shot, wads, etc. that I use are comparable to the best factory loads available at any price.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsman Matt
    replied
    Depends. If you plan on experimenting, or doing more shooting, like 4 boxes a week, then reloading is an option. If you shoot 4 boxes a year, then just buying them when they go on sale would be sufficient.

I usually wait for Dicks Sporting Goods to have their ammo sales, just watch the shell quantity. Remington put out a lot of boxes of shells, $1.97 on sale per box, but there were only 20 shells in the box, not the standard 25. So you needed to buy 5 boxes to get 100 rounds where if you spent the $5.00 a box you needed to buy 4 boxes for 100 rounds.

Ask at your local gun club if anyone reloads, I did and 2 older gentlemen invited me over to their reloading benches, let me use their equipment, and as long as I brought over my own supplies (powder, cases, shot, wads, and primers) I could use their equipment anytime, just had to give them a call to see if they were around. After awhile, I ended up buying one of the presses from one of them when they got out of the reloading.

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    It depends on the frequency you fire 12 ga. and the loads you are using. If you are shooting premium loads a couple of times a month, it could be a good price difference, but even more so if you are shooting a couple of times a week. When I ask about loads, you almost break even with Winchester Double AA's.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Beekeeper is right, you can turn out high quality loads for the price of "dove loads" at Wally World. However that is not what the question is, its is it worth it to reload if I shoot "every now and then" and I will go with another post, if you shoot less than 500 rounds a year then no its not worth it to save money. However if you want to do it as a hobby or something you are trying to get into so that you can START shooting more for cheap then by all means. I reload cause I shoot a 10gauge for ducks and steel at 25 dollars a box will break you!

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Beekeeper is right on again. I use a MEC 9000G to reload for my 28 'cause the ammo is really high yet even cheaper to reload 'cause you use less shot. Haven't used the 12 in a few years but I have one also.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    I don't agree with you guys on cheap shot shells right now. You can buy stuff for $5-$6 a box. First of all this is not cheap, especially for what you get. If you don't believe me cut one of these "Dove" loads open and you will find misshapen shot and quite often fiber wads with a poly wrapper around the shot instead of a plastic wad. Better loads are $7 to $10 dollars per box. Cetainly not cheap...

A person can reload high quality shotshells for about the same price or slightly cheaper than you would pay for promotional "dove" or cheap target loads. A Mec jr. loader is a good investment. I bought one used in 1980 and I still use it. If you don't want to spend that much the Lee Load All Shotshell Reloader can be had for about $45.(Cablelas) These loaders work surprisingly well and last for years. I started reloading shot shells for a 16 GA shotgun in 1978 with one of these, it still works!

Load data is readily available on the web from Alliant and Hodgedon. Shot is getting cheaper and 12 GA hulls are also cheap. I like the Remington STS hulls, the AA HS is OK but not quite as good as the old AA (my opinion)

Leave a comment:

• kjflorian
    replied
    I agree, shells are pretty cheap (right now), so it's not worth my time to reload. However, if some of the things about Obama are true relating to ammunition, it could pose a problem for us in the future.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    if it is less than 500 rounds a year i wouldnt mess with it. but i do always save my hulls in case i ever start.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad