Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy my son's first .22. Since he is tall for his age, I am going ahead and bypassing the youth models to get him something he can use the rest of his life. Looking for bolt action only to start with. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy my son's first .22. Since he is tall for his age, I am going ahead and bypassing the youth models to get him something he can use the rest of his life. Looking for bolt action only to start with. Suggestions?

Looking to buy my son's first .22. Since he is tall for his age, I am going ahead and bypassing the youth models to get him something he can use the rest of his life. Looking for bolt action only to start with. Suggestions?

It would be hard to beat the Savage MKIII for price and accuracy. $225-$250 for the plastic stock version and more depending on the stock. I have the 22mag version and I really like I don't get to shoot it as much as I'd like but they aer well worth the money. Also you can get some nice wood stocks at Boyd's for around $100 to get rid of the cheap plastic one.

Comment

Check out the Marlin line of bolt action .22's. They have SS in synthetic stock tube fed models, or magazine fed.
      If you want a top of the line American made look in gun shows and Gunbroker.com for a used Remington 541S custom .22. Beautiful rifle but it is not made any more. I saw one at a gun show in 98% condition and I think it was $475 if I remember.
      On any rifle, put on a good quality scope of 1.5X4 or fixed 4X. I would not recommend anything higher - I just put a 8X on mine and am taking it off. Too much power to pick up small targets.

Here is a listing so you can see some pictures:
      http://www.gunsamerica.com/908548544/REMINGTON-541-S-CUSTOM-SPORTER-22LR.htm

Comment

I agree with jhjimbo, I got a Glenfield model 25, then Glenfield was taken over by Marlin, so now it would be the Marlin model 25. I really like the gun and I would recommend it, but I'm not sure if they're still being made, I think they are though.

Comment

To me for the rest of his life means you want quality. The Remington 541 is nice and there are several other brands of quality .22's. Back in the 80's Kimber was turning out some beauties. If you could find one of them in like new condition that would be awesome. Many had absolutely gorgeous walnut stocks. Then there is Cooper rifles. Go to their website and you will be impressed.

Comment

Check out the Ruger Model 77-22 with the rotary magazine. High quality with price to match. MSRP is about $800 now.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              Check out the Ruger Model 77-22 with the rotary magazine. High quality with price to match. MSRP is about $800 now.
              Yup, walnut and steel if going for something to truly be proud of for generations.

Comment

Any good walnut and steel .22 rig.
                An older Marlin 39A, or maybe even a new bolt rig from CZ.
                Ruger 77/22 are nice but price has gone even more silly on those IMHO.
                Rem 541 series have a plastic mag........not the best looking or designed item (and why I dumped my 541T-HB).
                My current .22 rifle is an old fingergroove Ruger 10/22.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  Any good walnut and steel .22 rig.
                  An older Marlin 39A, or maybe even a new bolt rig from CZ.
                  Ruger 77/22 are nice but price has gone even more silly on those IMHO.
                  Rem 541 series have a plastic mag........not the best looking or designed item (and why I dumped my 541T-HB).
                  My current .22 rifle is an old fingergroove Ruger 10/22.
                  Yeah it's got an aluminum receiver, is a Ruger..........but it's a classic and in collectible version. So for me that's "good enough".

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    Check out the Marlin line of bolt action .22's. They have SS in synthetic stock tube fed models, or magazine fed.
                    If you want a top of the line American made look in gun shows and Gunbroker.com for a used Remington 541S custom .22. Beautiful rifle but it is not made any more. I saw one at a gun show in 98% condition and I think it was $475 if I remember.
                    On any rifle, put on a good quality scope of 1.5X4 or fixed 4X. I would not recommend anything higher - I just put a 8X on mine and am taking it off. Too much power to pick up small targets.

FWIW I ran a Leupold 4-12X w AO on my 541T-HB. Was great fun, and put quite a few 'coon and 'possum down. 50 yards, the 12X made target shooting fun. The smallest I'd go on something I'd occasionally target shoot with, would be the 3-9X EFR. That's a pretty neat little scope (except for the price).

Comment

He wants a bolt action

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I agree, on a .22lr bolt gun a compact 3X9 would be great.

Comment

If your looking for a Life Time 22Lr Cal,Rifle for your Son and Hand~Me~Down Latter On. I would look at the Winchester Mod/52 Sporter Rifle, the last one made for Utah Centennial in 1999, $1,100.00
                          Gunbroker.com

Comment

Jimbo - The Model 77-22 is a bolt action. You must be thinking about the Model 10-22.

Comment

I have a Ruger 77/22M in .22 Magnum and it really is one of my indispensable favorites! I was aware they were expensive, but I traded a K-frame S&W revolver for it and never regretted the trade. That rifle is the nemesis of the ground squirrels in my area. It's a "keeper", but I readily acknowledge that it's difficult to choose a good rifle for a young shooter. I still have a bolt action Remington 580 single-shot that was a good choice, but I bought it in the '70s and they don't seem to make rifles like that anymore. Best wishes, whatever you choose.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad