Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have just completed my concealed carry handgun course in NC. It cost me $125, I did not learn anything that I could not have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just completed my concealed carry handgun course in NC. It cost me $125, I did not learn anything that I could not have

I have just completed my concealed carry handgun course in NC. It cost me $125, I did not learn anything that I could not have read on my own. Basically it was a complete waste of time and money. Has anyone else ever been disappointed in a concealed course?

I was rather disappointed with the one that I took for MI. It was $150 and we watched a 4 hour video session that contained mostly the Simpsons episode where Homer buys a gun, gun fight scenes from movies and a few slides containing the necessary information that I had already read on the internet. The rest of the time we went out back and shot target. The course was taught by a cop in his polebarn and we shot in his backyard.

Comment

Disappointed yes, required by law also yes.
      Mine started in high school when I took the hunter safety course. Did'nt learn anything, but if you want to hunt Colo(after 1949) ya got to have it.

Comment

In the 4 hours of videos we also had, there were two skits in which a drunk was the instigator and ended up pulling the gun. Come on the guy either way is in the wrong. Just horrible.

Comment

I actually enjoyed the one given here in Kentucky.
          The video was rather long and repetitious, but the guys that taught the course were amusing,knowledgeable and provided nice snacks and drinks.

Out of the 15 or so men there to take the test,I knew almost all of them. That may have been part of the reason I enjoyed it.

I knew a lot of the items that were covered, but it didn't hurt to re-fresh my memory.

The course in Kentucky was $75.00.

I do remember one elderly gentleman, that was on the firing line, and kept waving his .38 revolver around.
          The instuctor talked to him privately ...

Comment

I've also been through the NC courses. The instructor did share several things that were not in the reading, but other than that, i lost a hunk of money.

Comment

Haven't taken one, but I do have a concealed weapons permit.

Comment

didn't have to take one to get mine in new york of all places . just had to wait five months to get it

Comment

The CC course here actually made me wonder why I wanted a CC. They stated the law and what we may expect if we even pull a gun, not to mention pull the trigger.
                  The repercussions is what people must know.

Comment

I agree Jim in MO, in the class NC has a blind door shot. This is where someone is attempting to break into your house you can shoot through the door or window. But then we were told that once they are in the house don't even think about shooting unless you are in danger of death.

Comment

I let my Georgia permit expire before I decided to apply for a NC one. I didn't know that you could "transfer" a good permit. Now I have to do all the above stuff.

It sounds like the instructors make the course pleasant or not, according to you guys. In Georgia (at the time I got my original one), the only thing you needed for a permit is a clean record and the Judge to have a good day.

Comment

Good instructors make all the difference. Open discussions with the lawyers seem to be the most interesting. That's when some people decide they don't want the responsibilities and potential legal issues that go with carrying a gun.

Unfortunately, there was an accident recently in Michigan. I don't have all the details but a CCW instructor was showing various guns to the participants and pulled the trigger of a gun with a live round in the chamber. The bullet went through a man's face into the left side of his head behind his ear. Luckily, the bullet missed his artery, brain, ear, etc. and was removed. He is just left with a couple of scars. The instructor is an older gentlemen, well-respected, and quite experienced, yet he broke at least 2 or 3 rules of gun safety. Sobering.

Comment

Uncle Ted says "I don't need to take a class and get a piece of paper to carry a gun, I've got the 2nd Ammendment".

Comment

Sharkfin,
                            Uncle Ted runs his mouth a lot. Get your CC license.

Comment

You can't carry in places that matter most anyway. You know those places that have signs posted "NO LOADED WEAPONS ALLOWED". Which most likely will be the place that a gunman will attack. Criminals don't care about those signs. But, since we are law abiding we go through the process. And uncle ted is right. It is our 2nd Ammendment right. I don't call that running his mouth, I call that smart. Right to bare arms...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad