Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I looked at a couple of .22 pistols at the gun store today. they were both heritage rough riders, only difference was one had a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I looked at a couple of .22 pistols at the gun store today. they were both heritage rough riders, only difference was one had a

I looked at a couple of .22 pistols at the gun store today. they were both heritage rough riders, only difference was one had a 6 inch barrel and pearl grips, and the other a 4 inch barrel and wood grips. the 4 inch felt more balanced in my hand, while the 6 inch seemed bulkier. which do you think would be best for squirrel hunting, plinking, trail gun etc? they both also come with an extra .22 wmr cylinder.

You may shoot the 6inch more accurately with the extra 2 inches of sight plane, but fit, feel, and balance are very important to a trail gun. Are you from Arkansas?

Comment

I would prefer the six-inch model for the greater sight radius. Handling qualities are secondary when you are taking careful aim at a small target.

Comment

The 6" barrel would undoubtedly be more accurate. However I think the 4" barrel would carry a lot easier and if it has a better balance the extra 2" on the 6" may negate the benefit.
        The wood grips would probably have a better grip.
        Personally, I would go with the 4" but I wouldn't be shooting too far at squirrels anyway.
        Go with your gut, both would be perfectly fine for what you want to use them for, you'll be happy with either choice.
        Those are excellent pistols in my experience.

Comment

I would have to go with D McClure & 99E. On your Target Acquisition + with a 22WMR Cylinder you get full potential energy out of both 22 type rounds, Don't go for looks, but it's intended use!

Comment

Neither. The Heritage revolvers are entry level at best and if I am correct they do not have adjustable sights. Spend a little more money and get a revolver such as a Ruger single-six or a Taurus Tracker, or perhaps a semi-auto with adjustable rear sight. You may even want to put a scope on you handgun to hunt tree rats. I have a Tracker with a scope on it and it is deadly accurate out to 50 yards.

Comment

I agree with dead eye - a Ruger is a better gun. Adjustable sights are everything if you are going to shoot squirrels to 50 yds or so.
              BTW, the Heritage is listed with a 4 3/4 barrel, not 4.

Comment

I agree with dead eye - a Ruger is a better gun. Adjustable sights are everything if you are going to shoot squirrels to 50 yds or so.
                BTW, the Heritage is listed with a 4 3/4 barrel, not 4.

Comment

look- if you guys want to suggest other guns lets keep in mind I don't have much to spend. I would like to keep it under $250.

Comment

Save up and try to find one used Ruger with both .22 and .22mag cylinders
                    Or, buy the Heritage and try it and hope if you don't like it a gun shop will give you what you paid for it against a better gun.
                    BTW, Heritage does make a 22, 22mag with adjustable sights. Used value in 100% condition is $160 with adjust sights. The fixed sight in 100% $130. Chances are it is in less than 100% condition. Add $30 to the one with pearl grips. If in a gun shop, you might want to make a offer and see what happens.
                    I agree Rugers with convertible cylinders are kinda pricy, but, if you find one at a gun show or from a individual you may get a better price.

Comment

habben
                      Look. A .22 six shooter ain't no H&H double rifle for stopping dangerpus game! Okay? Of course, you've been around here long enough, you know that.
                      Ruger builds a tough working tool that will serve you well fot many years.
                      The Heritage may not be as well made, but with care, will still serve you well.
                      I would go with the 6" for the accuracy factor.
                      I carry a Ruger Single-Six with the 9" bbl. I love it! Fits well in the hand and the balance is awesome! ...for me!
                      I have a belt rig with a lined leather holster. Because of length, I carry it "bandolier" style with the gun under my left arm.
                      HEY! Works for me! ...and I've killed lots of ferals with it! It was/is my trsp clearing tool! LOL!

Comment

I have a couple Ruger’s and in .22 a new model single six hunter with a NIKON ENCORE pistol site and am very happy with it. But mine cost way more then you are willing to spend. A few years ago there was a market niche for a well made pistol that were workhorses and not great to look at. That was the H&R brand (second iteration, H&R owners will know what I mean). HR made some quality .22 and .32 pistols that weren’t pretty but worked. They merged (I think) with Marlin a few years after I bought mine. Eventually Marin just discontinued the H&R name.

I suggest you consider GUN BROKER or the similar and look for an used H&R in good shape.

Comment

I really like FirstBubba's idea of carrying the pistol with a longer barrel bandolier style under the armpit, really smart.
                          If you would be carrying it like that I'd probably change my vote to the 6er, I'm still on 4" for hip carrying though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad