Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sooner or later I'm going to start reloading and will need a loading kit, I've heard there are some that do most of the work for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooner or later I'm going to start reloading and will need a loading kit, I've heard there are some that do most of the work for

Sooner or later I'm going to start reloading and will need a loading kit, I've heard there are some that do most of the work for you? Any suggestions on brands or even a kit itself?

The LEE Hand Loader Kit$45.00+/- or The LEE Load Master Kit$279.99+/- or RCBS Special-5 Starter Kit $269.99+/- and Add Power,Primers,Bullets,Dies set,New Brass,Chamfer/Deburr Tool and the list goes on!

Comment

I don't know of any that "do most of the work for you". I have been reloading for about 50 years and I use nothing but RCBS equipment because of the quality and their customer service. Their Rock Chucker kit is a great place to start. It has the basic equipment you will need. Add your powder, brass, primers, bullets, chamfer/deburring tool, and a couple manuals and you are set to begin. But before you start you will have to find someone who is experienced and let them teach you and let you monitor them for quite sometime to find out exactly what the process is. Reloading is a process that if you don't know what you are doing you can get yourself in a whole bunch of trouble. I have about as much fun crafting loads as I do shooting. Anymore with the price of componants you don't save like you used to on the price of ammo but you do see some savings after you get your equipment paid for. Good luck on your endeavor.

Comment

Sarge is exactly right, follow his suggestions. In addition, it has been getting hard to find components, powder, primers, bullets, brass. When they are found, the price is far more than in the past. If you intend to reload to save money, you better be one of those people that fire a lot of ammo. Or, as I am, strive to have the best load in all of your guns. I also know that I will have my ammo available even if not on the retailer shelf. I also own some off beat calibers that rarely are found commercially. If I was just an average hunter, reloading ammo would not save me anything. However, the pleasure of that reloading experience is a pay back.

Comment

I started reloading with a Lee loading tool that cost me $10 in 1970. It did a good job but then I needed a case trimmer. After that I bought a powder scale to use different powders and loads. It went on from there and now I have a whole bench full of tools for the job. I'm not tied to one product line but most of my reloading equipment now is RCBS and Lyman. That little Lee loader is still on a shelf by the bench but I haven't used it in years. As Sarge says the help of an experienced hand loader would be a great idea.

Comment

Sarge01 said it best. I bought the RCBS Rock Chucker kit and have used the heck out of it. After sitting at the elbow of a friend who reloads.
            I also bought an RCBS chargemaster scale and powder dispenser.
            There will be plenty of work involved, but the savings is considerable. Just be careful and follow the instructions!

Comment

I can't think of a thing to add to several already excellent suggestions!
              Reloading can be rewarding, fulfilling, relaxing, perplexing, enjoyable and an excellent way to escape those bitter cold day doldrums!
              I started with a Lee Loader. A guy I knew got his fanny in a crack and I got a Rock Chucker kit for $100! Best money I ever wasted! LOL!
              If you're going with a press, get a "Stuck Case Remover"! Believe me, you'll never regret it!

Comment

Stick with Sage on this one. You can fine tune the process for your own needs as time goes by. Kindest .regardsH

Comment

I agree with the RCBS recommendations. About 30 years ago my Pop bought me a kit from RCBS, which included a little press called the "Partner," I believe. I reloaded everything from 30spl to .375 H&H on that press, and everything in between. It's little, but is still going strong. Of course, if the ladies ask, I use a big Rockchucker or something macho like that. If the littlest press is still doing well, I can't imagine you would ever want with the larger ones.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad