Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when choosing ammo for your carry gun, is each brand just as effective as the next? what are some strong/weak points of certain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when choosing ammo for your carry gun, is each brand just as effective as the next? what are some strong/weak points of certain

when choosing ammo for your carry gun, is each brand just as effective as the next? what are some strong/weak points of certain manufacturers self defense ammo that you know of? assuming that every brand shot equally well out of your carry gun, what would you carry? currently i have winchester PDX1 defenders in my glock and thats because i could not find and speer gold dot ammo around.

In all of the testing that I did for the .40's when we carried them I found that the round with the most pep was the Winchester 155 grain Silver Tip. That is what I carry in my .40. I carry .225 grain PDX1's in my Judge .45 Colt. In my .45 I carry 230 grain Gold Dot because that is what I carried on duty.

Comment

I should have said that the only one of those rounds that I have seen someone shot with is the Gold Dot and that was with a 180 grain .40. It was before we started shooting 155 Silver Tips. The Officer shot the guy 4 times in the chest. He was dead on his feet. In the emergency room when the Dr. rolled him over two of the bullets fell out that were between him and his coat. Two bullets didn't exit. I took the two bullets that exited back to the office with me and they measured over .80 which meant that they mushroomed over doubled in size.

Comment

Interesting question, I currently carry a Taurus 605 .357, and I used to have it loaded with golden sabre, And I recently switched to Critical Defense, my wife started using Critical Defense in her carry weapon and we were both very pleased with how well it shot on our practice sessions. I like the weight retention results this ammo has shown on the tests we researched, also.
        When I am feeling that I am not carrying enough weight on my hip, I sometimes carry my Ruger Blackhawk .41, and I have that loaded with Gold Dot which works very well, although ammo in that caliber is not easy to find on a regular basis.

Comment

I use Win/PDX1 147Gr-9mm in my carry Gun and i'm issued Speer Gold Dot 127Gr-9mm in my Duty Gun as a Auxiliary Sheriffs Deputy.

Comment

Hornady TAP in my .40S&W Glock. 180gr TAP FPD 950fps.

Comment

My choice would be Speer Gold Dot followed by Federal HST.

Comment

I don't have any big preferences, as long as it isn't Federal.
                I prefer a Win or Rem hollow point round.

Comment

Glaser Safety Slugs in the Airweight Bodyguard and Remington Golden Sabre in the 9mm. Big ol' lead bullets in the .41 Rem Mag.

Comment

Any non-FMJ expanding hollow-point will do in a Glock (9mm, .40, .45 ACP). I like the 124g +P in 9mm, 165g in .40, and the Golden Saber 230g or HydraShok 230g in .45. The most important aspect is where the bullet hits the bad guy. A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44 Magnum, and the .22 LR has killed an awful lot of people. That's another way of saying that there is no Silver Bullet... or magic bullet. Put any round out of a Glock in the '10-ring' and keep shooting until you're sure there is no threat to maximize your handgun's defensive capability.

Comment

obijohn,
                      Sounds like the guys from Austria have you brainwashed.

Comment

I'd go with Winchester or Remington

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad