Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about 22 ammunition? Is it going to be high priced and is it going to be found easier in stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about 22 ammunition? Is it going to be high priced and is it going to be found easier in stores?

What do you guys think about 22 ammunition? Is it going to be high priced and is it going to be found easier in stores?

I marvel at the disappearance of .22LR and .22WRM ammunition from the shelves of local shops that I normally regard as a resource. A firearm without ammunition is little more than a dust-collector or conversation piece, and I hope this storm will pass. When I lived in southern California's Orange County, we were permitted to purchase firearms but the outdoor ranges where we did our shooting were zoned out of existence. It was another incentive to relocate. Now that's not an issue, and we're still able to keep and bear arms but I can't find ammunition or loading components for most of my rifles. We live in interesting times, gentlemen, and this phase can't pass quickly enough.

Comment

Interesting post Ed. I believe the drought with 22 ammo is linked to large bore ammo availability and increased price.

Comment

The last U.S. lead smelter is forced to close by the EPA (i.e. Obama). It will shut down at the end of this year. That leaves China and other Countries as a source of lead in the future. Guess who controls the importation of material.
        I would say things will continue to be tight and prices to rise in the future, if supply is even available in the future.

Comment

jhimbo Unfortunately this is nothing new and not specific to lead. My uncles were Sandhogs. They worked on the 2nd. ave. Subway and the West side water tunnel. These are immense projects that scanned decades. All the steel that was used for these projects was American Iron Ore shipped to Japan, processed and shipped back as finished steel. In the past 30 years the amount of clothing and shoes we wear has fell from 85% US made to 2%. Levis jeans have been made in Poland for the last 30 years. Let's no even talk about Electronics, Cars and Car parts.

Comment

PS; Bring all these this and the rest back to American shores and we can go all Lone Ranger and shoot Silver Bullets.

Comment

I'm starting to see .22lr more and more. Talking to a guy at the local shop and asked pretty much the same thing. His response to me was that we will see them back and in full stocks but the price will never be the same. He put in terms of gasoline. when gas went from $2 a gal to $4.50 people were more than happy to buy buy buy at $3.25. He said to expect the same with ammo. Right now he has Remington bricks for $36 that used to be $19 and he said they're being bought as fast as he can stock them. Which means he's buying as much as he can for a higher price which means the price will probably never fall.

Comment

Blame the hoarders. 22 lr is available but the hoarders know when the big box stores get their deliveries. They get there before opening hours and bring family members and friends to side-step purchase limits. My local Big 5 (Sporting Goods chain) takes deliveries on Mondays and Thursdays. Hoarders call in advance to find out what will be in the shipment then they get there before they open. $36 for a brick of 22 lr is looking like a bargain to me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad