Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I intend to send a S&W K-frame revolver to a smith for modification, and the shop is too far to deliver/pick up myself. Apparent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crm3006,
    I drove to my usual firearms emporium this afternoon, but they're closed due to remodeling and resurfacing their parking area, so my next stop was a FedEx satellite to get a suitable box (size Medium) and see what they had to say. The fellow behind the counter looked at the case and asked, "Is that a gun?" I nodded and answered, "It's a revolver going to a gunsmith..."
    He turned to his coworkers and said, "It's a gun!" Hoping that exclamation wouldn't be mistaken for announcing a hold-up, I reassured him, saying, "Relax, lad. It's in a case without ammunition. If you make say somethinglike that, a misunderstanding can complicate my life. Have you ever dealt with a firearms shipment before?"
    "No, I don't think we've shipped one of those before. I'll check with my manager." Yes, I thought that was a good idea.
    Briefly, I will certainly go through my dealer , if at all possible, because I don't want that assinine, hoplophobic mindset dealing with my equipment.

Comment

A few years ago, I had to send a pistol back to High Standard for repairs, and it had to be shipped FedEx Overnight. The cost was about $38 as I recall, but there was no excitement when I declared it as a firearm. That must have been my lucky day.

Comment

I had to send a pistol a few years ago to S&W. They had arranged it in advance with FEDEX and they sent me a return authorization with FEDEX forms all filled out. If I remember from talking to the S&W agent (fair warning my memory may be not 100% accurate on all the details). An individual can ship a firearm back for repair, and they (repair facility) can ship it back direct to you. But a new one or a replacement or a sale has to go through a FFL. Also, I had to take it to the FEDEX central terminal for this area. FEDEX wouldn’t let a satellite touch it. I don’t think it was sent over night, but may have been. Interesting enough I have seen the US Government send service weapons through the US mail.

Comment

Ed,
          If S&W is going to send it back direct to you, someone over 21 has to sign for it or they will not leave it. It all goes to the total chain of
          custody paper trail.

Comment

This is a S&W Model 10HB, and it is my intention to send this to BC Armory in Michigan to replace the 4-inch factory barrel (ramp sight) with a 6-inch heavy barrel and the installation of a Weaver base for a dot sight. This is a modification, not a repair. If this situation gets complicated, I'll have to find a local (Oregon or Washington) gunsmith to do the job

Comment

Update: A local gunsmith and FFL dealer, who prefers working on autoloaders instead of revolvers, will send my S&W Model 10HB to another gentleman for the work I intend. Thanks to all of you for your input! I appreciate it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad