Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I intend to send a S&W K-frame revolver to a smith for modification, and the shop is too far to deliver/pick up myself. Apparent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I intend to send a S&W K-frame revolver to a smith for modification, and the shop is too far to deliver/pick up myself. Apparent

I intend to send a S&W; K-frame revolver to a smith for modification, and the shop is too far to deliver/pick up myself. Apparently, the only legal option for sending a handgun is by FedEx Overnight, which is $58-60 each way, which significantly adds to the expense of rebarreling. Can anyone recommend a less expensive method?

Great photos! Looks like you've got a promising season ahead of you, and I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Apologies to all. I was commenting on WhiteTailFreak's post!

Comment

People with FFL's can ship to other people with FFL's so that may be something to look into.

Comment

Because of past theft cases, UPS only ships the most secure, read expensive way, with a custody
          trail all the way. I sent a revolver to S&W and if I remember, it had to go next day, air. Smith paid the return as it was under warranty.
          A gun shop I have dealt with ships U.S. Post Office, but I don't believe an individual can ship through the Post Office, unless you list contents as parts or something like that but then you risk not being insured in case of a loss. The idea of an FFL making the shipment for you is worth checking out. Take lots of pictures and buy insurance.
          One last thought is to check with the smith and see what he has had good success with.
          Good luck.

Comment

Ed Do you use a local Gun Shop with a FFL,See what they Charge some times Free or $10.-25.00 + Shipping to the Other FFL Holders Shop.

Comment

Try FedEx

Comment

Try FedEx

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. It hadn't occurred to me to go through my local gunshop because they weren't involved in the transaction, but it certainly makes sense to me. I'll explore that possibility tomorrow morning.

Comment

Recently went through the "ship-a-gun" thing. I was treated like a social pariah at the local PO!
                    Finally shipped through a local company that serves as a pickup locale for UPS, FedEx, etc.
                    Don't remember which shipper handled it, but it didn't have to go "overnight".
                    But, then, it was a long gun.

Comment

I live in Oregon, which is a environment that's well oriented to outdoor sports and shooting activity, but I experienced the same attitude in the post office when I asked about shipping a firearm. A great deal seems to have changed in a generation. Not too long ago, a rifle in a pick-up truck's window rack usually meant you were a farmer or rancher. Now folks call 9-1-1 at the sight of a firearm in a vehicle. When did America become so intimidated and distant from shooting as part of our society?

Comment

Ed,
                        States may have various regulations. Your local gun shop should be able and willing to help. Here in California firearms must be shipped to an identity with a current Federal Firearm Permit, coming and going. I get a copy of the permit take to a Box Brothers shipping store. They ascertain what is the less expensive method to ship keep a copy of the permit for their files, include another in the shipment, insure, and off it goes. When I it comes back, must be received , again by a Federal Firearm Dealer where I pick it up. There are some places that refuse to ship firearms as a matter of policy.

Comment

So far over the years have not lost a firearm, and none broken. Knock on wood.

Comment

Happy Myles,
                            Thank you for your advice. It would seem life is getting more complicated for owners of firearms. I normally deal locally, or provide myself with an excuse to drive elsewhere and personally drop off/pick my equipment, but this situation requires shipment. I suppose it underscores how long it has been since I've had to ship anything with a serial number.
                            I'll be visiting a gunshop several miles away and I'll see what I can accomplish there. May your record of shipping without loss or damage continue for the years ahead.
                            Ed

Comment

Ed J.-
                              Read the regulations carefully, or better yet, get your local FFL dealer to interpret for you. Some years back, I received a long gun from out of state, and another from in state, because there were repairs. Regs may have changed, but it is worth checking into, by someone who ships firearms on an everyday basis.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad