Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quote of the week: No free man shall be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote of the week: No free man shall be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson

Quote of the week: No free man shall be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson

By "unfree" Jefferson was referring to slaves (several of which he owned). Fear of a slave rebellion was the great paranoia of Antebellum South. Therefore, slaves should be debarred from the use of arms to prevent them from fomenting a successful revolt. For the same reasons they were to be debarred from education and reading the Bible. If they have knowledge, they will know slavery is wrong. Anyway, always remember to put historical quotes in their historical context. Jefferson would not have wanted it any other way.

Comment

OHH the same can be said for government officials today--"Don't read the Bible because we want to do what we want, with complete disregard for God".
      "We don't want you to have firearms because we want to have complete control of a submissive people".
      Thank you OHH for pointing that out to me, I am not being sarcastic, you are probably correct in what you say, after all slavery was the normal back then; but that is exactly what several people in control want back.

Comment

What amazes me is that four justices of the U.S. Supreme Court still think our founding fathers did not believe in an individual right to bear arms.
        Even after the Heller decision confirmed that right, the four judges still believed that individual states, like Illinois, could infringe on that right. The McDonald case settled that in favor of the individual right, but I don't think the four justices are convinced they were wrong.

Comment

How times have changed!

Comment

AAM, did your brother Dallas get the boot from Field and Stream? I have not seen a comment or a post from him in a while.
            F&S took 40,000 points off his profile then he came right back with the same ol same ol multiple points on each of his comments. I knew he was testing and playing silly games with the On-Line-Editor. Did his childish prank lead to termination from the site?

Comment

The founding fathers seemed to have had all the bases covered pretty well back when they wrote the constitution. The whole reason the colonies broke away from England was because of this kind of stuff and all the taxes...guess the people running our government were all home sick during history class. It would seem that they're certainly trying to repeat history.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad