Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defense Distributed has used a 3d printer to create the worlds first functioning handgun. Of the 16 parts that make up the hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense Distributed has used a 3d printer to create the worlds first functioning handgun. Of the 16 parts that make up the hand

Defense Distributed has used a 3d printer to create the worlds first functioning handgun. Of the 16 parts that make up the handgun, 15 were made by the printer. Only one part of a gun needs to be made of metal to be legal. How do you think this kind of technology will influence gun laws in the future?

This is a good question, what ever they come up with, enforcement appears to me, to be the problem.

Comment

I would be more concerned if your Medical Insurance will pay to reattach your hand after you try to shoot it.

Comment

Chuck Schumer of NY has set the wheels in motion for the 3-D Gun to ban it.?????

Comment

Maybe the 3D printer can be programmed to produce body parts.

Comment

Graphene is another material being developed that may even be able to replace the steel. A few ten thousands of an inch thick of the material would take thousands of pounds of pressure to push a pencil point through it. One company makes it from the Carbon in the air.

Comment

My CAD teacher talked to a guy who made an AR-15 with the 3-D printer. I may make it my goal to do that someday. What caliber was the handgun.

Comment

Also what was the metal part, could you make it in a shop?

Comment

the article is on foxnews. it didn't mention the caliber but the sound was certainly more than a .22

Comment

Jay, was this an actual functioning gun? It sounds as if it is a prototype. These 3D printers are used pretty much everywhere there is prototyping/R&D lab on new products. The days of clay modeling are virtually through with this 3D printing technology. They don't actually function they are just true to form. I seriously doubt this hasn't been done before. I don't have the article to read so I'm going off of assumption.

Comment

Well it seems my assumption was wrong partially. The gun actually fires! However I see no market for such nonsense, it is cheaper to buy a real gun or to make a pipe bomb(Just saying ATF).

Comment

If I was going to get involved with this sort of illegality. I would get an 80% complete AR lower frame or just bend and rivet an AK lower. At least I would have my digits and not be laughed at in prison.

Comment

Having used a 3D printer and handled the material I cannot imagine how one could hold up.

Comment

Apparently it does not hold up very well, CNN has an article on it posted right now. The only metal part is the firing pin which is just a small nail, pretty interesting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad