Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it seems like everyday my history teacher my friend and i get into a heated argument about the second amendment and how "obama's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canvasbackhunter
    replied
    I agree with Ncarl, I used to argue with my French teacher. Other than him, my school is really conservative. He has also learned to just keep his mouth shut because he ain't getting nothing into our stubborn heads. My CAD teacher listens to Rush in class. That and my history teacher called in "sick" on opening turkey.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Your teacher is breaking a very rigid rule of teaching. He is expressing his opinions upon you and not allowing you to think for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    I'm with Ncarl...arguing will get you nowhere. He has his opinion firmly set in stone and you have yours, so there's no point in arguing. If he starts pushing his views about gun control onto the class, remind him that you're there to learn history, not his opinion on gun control.

If he continues on a course of pushing his anti-gun agenda on the class, don't push statistics on him because most of the "statistics" you hear are completely bogus...rather ask him questions that he has no answers for, or the answers to the questions are not answers that support your argument and not his (you know...like the media does!). Such as:

"So how has disarming society worked out for people in the past?"

"If you ever had to defend yourself with a firearm, how many rounds would you prefer to have in your magazine, 5, 10, or 30?"

"By today's standards, which is a better action for self protection, break action, bolt action, pump action, lever action, or semi-auto?"

"It seems to me that history is full of civil unrest and war, correct? So if our home soil is ever invaded, how do you intend to protect yourself or your family?"

"Natural disasters can cause looting, panic, riots, and unprecedented violence. If a natural disaster occurred, how do you intend to protect yourself, your family, and your resources?"

"If somebody was to march through the front door of the school right now with a firearm, would we not all be sitting ducks? I mean who's going to stop someone with a gun? What do we have in this school that is going to legitimately protect us from an armed intruder?"

"If violent and troubled people are the problem, then shouldn't we be working toward a solution that keeps troubled and violent people out of society? I mean after all, even if they don't have a gun, they can still hurt and kill people with bombs, knives, tools, blunt objects, poisons, fire, and their bare hands, can they not?"

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    Remember, Columbine took place during an assault weapon ban, it didn't do much to save them.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    Ha, I've been there. Don't argue with your teachers, you will never win. Most of the time your teachers will make you look, well, stupid. I've taken a lot of history/social studies/gov't classes and have had the most conservative and the most liberal teachers imaginable. Even had a libertarian for contemporary issues and sociology. I find it more interesting just to sit back and listen, and take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Since your friend is a history teacher you might try this statistic on him:

170,000,000 people were KILLED in the 20th century alone by governments that had made gun ownership (i.e. self defense) illegal among their citizens (mostly in the name of safety).

One school full of children or one movie theater full of spectators being killed is a terrible tragedy that shocks us all. However, what actually happened in the 20th century is HORRIFIC! Yet for some reason history teachers fail to look back even 100 years. Ask him to research genocide during that period... have him take a look at Russia, China, Germany, Rawanda and many more. Have him look at the gun legislation in those countries prior to the genocide.

It was because of consistent historic facts like this that our founding fathers cast the second amendment to our constitution... so that such horrors would not happen to our citizens.

My father said very little about the horrors he experienced during World War II, but he literally had tears in his eyes when he told me that the liberation of Auschwitz was the most horrific human travesty he could ever imagine. The shock stuck with him his whole life. The one thing he made me promise was to never let them take our guns away. He said “Those poor fools didn’t have a chance! They took their guns away and they had no means to defend themselves”. This wasn’t the first time of course, as your teacher will discover. Let’s hope it never happens in the United States. There is a very high probability it won't as long as millions of citizens can defend themselves.

Best of luck! You will need it! There aren't many public school teachers in America anymore capable of learning history from their students.

Leave a comment:

• it seems like everyday my history teacher my friend and i get into a heated argument about the second amendment and how "obama's

it seems like everyday my history teacher my friend and i get into a heated argument about the second amendment and how "obama's trying to take it from us" my friend and i dislike the bills that they are proposing but my teacher is for them. do any of you have any quik facts that i can use to shut him up?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad