Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it seems like everyday my history teacher my friend and i get into a heated argument about the second amendment and how "obama's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good post.

Comment

Perhaps a scholarly examination of the words "shall' (vs. may), and "infringed" as used in the Second Amendment language of "shall not be infringed". Then you could shift subjects to Civics for a discussion of how "the people" as used in the Second Amendment is the same "We the people" as used in the preamble of the constitution. Then maybe some History to examine how early America had no standing army so it fell to the "well regulated militia" of "we the people" to provide security for all things from personal defense of family and home to defense of the settlement against hostiles to defense of the country against foreign invaders. Then when the idiot teacher counters with the argument that now we do have a standing army and police, you counter with "when seconds count the police are only minutes away".

Comment

As a history teacher myself I can tell you you are probably wasting your breath. If he cannot see the Second Amendment you way don't sweat it too much. Good job for not letting one opinion stand just because its the instructors. We often are wrong. I had to bite my tongue a lot in college where you do pay academically for opinions contrary to the professors. If they cannot see how gun bans and despotism have gone hand in hand then try the power issue. When the government is givn power when has it ever willingly given it back? Also prohibition did not work for alcohol and that ban had enough support for an Amendment.

Comment

Maybe your history teacher needs to be reminded that historically, national registration of privately owned guns has been followed by a confiscation of those guns, which was then followed by mass executions of those who did not agree with such confiscations or other government policies. Hitler did it, as did Mao, Stalin, Polpot, et. al. And they all started the process with registration in the name of public safety. I'm sure the occupants of those mass graves in the killing fields had said, "Oh, that could never happen here" just as your teacher will.

Comment

Sounds like a good teacher to me. He has got your interest and got you thinking about how to win the argument. At least you're not sleeping in class.

Easy on those history teachers. I'm one.

Comment

thanks for all your opinions. i will defenitly bring up some of these arguments next time we get into it.

Comment

Miller74, you've gotten a lot of good answers from folks, so I have nothing add...except that today's educators are really not interested in your opinions (or mine or anyone else's) regarding gun control. Most of our educational facilities bow down to liberal progressive ideas regarding guns and gun control. Not a week goes by where we don't hear about some grade school kid being suspended for a t-shirt or for pointing his finger like a pistol, etc. I wish you luck, but I'm not optimistic. There is a reason the liberal progressives want to disarm America and it has nothing to do with crime. If it were about crime, they'd be going into the ghettos and barrios and disarming the gang bangers. I'm really fearful about the 2014 election; if we lose the house, it's all over but the shouting (and probably the shooting). I live in NY and woke up on January 16th of this year to find I was a criminal by virtue of what I posessed legally the day before. My response is going to be to leave NY for a morge "friendly" state.
                h2oskate

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad