Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a long time with rifles and shotguns, I'm thinking of buying my first handgun. Right now, I'm torn between a taurus 92 9mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a long time with rifles and shotguns, I'm thinking of buying my first handgun. Right now, I'm torn between a taurus 92 9mm

After a long time with rifles and shotguns, I'm thinking of buying my first handgun. Right now, I'm torn between a taurus 92 9mm or taurus 38/357 revolver. This is mainly going to be a range gun but could double as for home defense. Any thoughts?

I am a fan of revolvers and I have always liked .357.

Comment

A revolver would be the better choice for a first handgun. The manual of arms is simpler than for the auto, and it is generally considered to be safer.
      Taurus makes a good product at reasonable prices because of the lower labor costs in Brazil.

Comment

Partial to the .357 myself but then again I already have a Kimber .45 on 1911 frame. Research and ask questions then pick the best choice for yourself and your situation.

Comment

At price Point the B/92-2 MARP $789.00 the T/38-357 MSRP $509.00....My Pick for a new Timer to hand Guns Taurus.

Comment

Iv'e shot handguns pretty extensively I just don't own one yet. So ease of operation isn't really my main concern. One thing that's keeping me wondering is ammo cost. From what I can tell, even 38special runs almost twice what 9mm costs. I am kind of leaning toward the revolver though..thanks for the input!

Comment

I am a big wheel gun fan, especially for home defense, I do not want to get up in the middle of the night, grab a firearm and try to deal with a jam when I am half a sleep, even with the adrenaline pumping. A .38 special +P+ or a .357 will do the job nicely, I have several. I have Taurus and S&W.

Comment

With home invasions now happening with more than one intruder, 6 rounds may not be a good idea

Comment

I believe that after the first shot is fired, hit or miss, there will not be any intruders in the house. Home invaders do not come looking for a gunfight. JMO.

Comment

I have both semi-auto's and revolvers. I like both, but would take a semi-auto over a revolver for home defense because of more capacity. In the end, it ultimately comes down to what you are most comfortable with and what fits your needs the best, so consider carefully and, if possible, test fire the guns before reaching your decision.

Comment

Buy a Glock in .40S&W. If it is good enough for LEO, it's good enough for me.

Comment

Personally, I'm not a big fan of .40 cal, it feels kind of snappy to me. If I were to go semi auto I'd take 9mm or .45acp. Glocks are fun though, I have to say.

Comment

i have a tuarus 669 357 revolver and hi point 9mm pistol, if there was more then one intuder i would use the 9mm, but if there was only one i would use the 357.

Comment

It kind of depends on what makes you happy. For a first pistol, a revolver is exceptionally reliable for home defense and accurate for hunting or target shooting. Most 9mms seem to be trash and therefore aren't as much fun. I actually enjoy my .44 Mag more than any other I have. It is accurate, makes a BIG bang, shoots flames the size of a basketball halfway to the target and above all doesn't have that much more recoil than a .357 with a good grip. It does however make a .357 look like a pop gun on impact.

For home defense, a good 1911 in .45 ACP will be hard to beat. My Kimber Custom II is accurate enough for competitive shooting. It's just not a hunting pistol.

Comment

Issues to consider...such as the versatility of the .357 Magnum/.38 Special versus the 9mm, the fact that the revolver doesn't shed brass and the autoloader does. I own and use autoloaders and revolvers and reload both, so that brass is a consideration. With that in mind, I must tell you that the .38 Special is quantifiably the most economical cartridge to handload. Especially with cast or swaged lead bullets, the brass lasts MANY reloads and it still delivers accuracy. The spectrum of available bullets in .357 diameter is impressive by any measure. All things considered, the .357 Mag revolver will probably give you the best bang for the buck. At some later date, should your requirements be redefined, you can purchase the autoloader of your choice but a good revolver will serve you well on the range and in the field.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                That's about as good an answer as there is, redangus.
                                When I worked in a sporting goods store and a customer asked me the "best caliber"...
                                Today, 10:12 PM
                              • How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                                Today, 09:40 AM
                              • Reply to How much is too much?
                                by jhjimbo
                                If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated...
                                Today, 10:10 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by jhjimbo
                                Wishing you get some reassuring news from the Vet. Be with her all you can and keep the faith. Will pray for you all. Jim
                                Today, 10:02 PM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X