Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between #6, #7.5, and #8 shot? Which one should I use in a 20 gauge for duck hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between #6, #7.5, and #8 shot? Which one should I use in a 20 gauge for duck hunting?

What's the difference between #6, #7.5, and #8 shot? Which one should I use in a 20 gauge for duck hunting?

The difference is that the larger the number the more bbs it has in it and the smaller the bbs are. With small numbers like #6 the are less bbs and they are bigger.

Comment

The higher the number- the smaller the shot size. You should not use anything smaller than 6 for ducks. I use 4 and larger just due to the fact that I might see a goose if their in season as well.

Comment

I'm even not sure if I have even seen 7.5 and 8 in steel?

Comment

Use 4.

Comment

Yep, everybodys right. I use 4's in a 12ga. but I shoot flooded timber.

Comment

Like they all say... don't use any of these size 6 and smaller shot types. They are way to small to penetrate something as tough as a duck. They also slow down way too fast to get any range. Use at least size 4 steel shot, even larger if you need to shoot at longer distances.

Comment

I agree w/ matous3, good luck hunting!

Comment

I hunt in a rie field and I use #1 to #4 shot in 12 gauge.

Comment

I would use nothing more than a #5 shot but a #4 shot would be ideal for ducks.

Comment

If you are shooting steel for big ducks and geese we use #2 most of the time in Kansas. I'v even used 2's on pheasants where NT shot is required. With a 20 you are handicapped by low shot volume and probably should go with #4. Just don't take long shots. On the goose line at Cheyenne Bottoms for pass shooting BBB,BB and T shot is the name of the game (10 and 12 ga. only). They do make #7 steel and I have shot doves with it. Compared to lead it sucks.

Comment

Difference? Size. Duck Huntability? None of those sizes (with the rare exception of high density 6 shot) should be used for ducks. For Ducks, I use 3" or 3.5" BB-2 shot, depending on what I'm doing and if Geese are a possibility.

Comment

I would recommend #2-#6; depending on what size of duck you are hunting.

Comment

You shouldn't even use a 20 ga for ducks...you need a 12.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad