Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a pretty dedicated gardener. As a result, I own a pressure cooker and I like to get it out and can with it it sometimes. It'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a pretty dedicated gardener. As a result, I own a pressure cooker and I like to get it out and can with it it sometimes. It'

I'm a pretty dedicated gardener. As a result, I own a pressure cooker and I like to get it out and can with it it sometimes. It's got a lot of capacity...holds 8 quarts. Do you think I'm going to be able to still use this for canning? I'm concerned. I'll bet the prices of new ones will triple. I wonder if I'll still be able to find replacement seals for the lid. I'll bet they're gone from store shelves already.. Do you think I might have to give this big pressure cooker up and get a gallon one? I'm also worried I might have to get some kind of home canning license. Any thoughts on all of this? Given recent events, will the government take my pressure cooker?

Pressure cookers will be on Diane Feinstein's next "grab list", as will be assault box cutters, and Exacto knives, for good measure. Pressure cookers look very scary, especially the large (high?) capacity ones, even though, pressure cookers are probably getting a bad rap. Just think about all those jihadis that blew themselves up, attempting to make a pressure cooker bomb!

Comment

Honestly they will probably just redesign them to be less effective as bombs somehow. There are probably other things that are just as effective for terrorists. A few idiots like Feinstein may want to ban them but there's less glory and no money in "protecting " Americans from cookware so a ban won't happen.

Comment

It depends if Feinstein defines them as "assault pressure cookers".

Comment

allegnmtn

I have an 8 qt also. It's an antique National® with the milled lid that doesn't require a rubber seal. I'm considering hiding it under hay in the barn!
          I just KNOW Obama is going to issue a "confiscation" EO!

Comment

Well Sarge, I canned some habanero sauce last year that can really hurt you if you're not careful. So, Feinsteinien loigic would say this makes the pressure cooker an danger too.

Comment

Guess this means "hot water bath" canning only!
              That means no more low-acid, pressurized canning.

Comment

Well FB, if terrorists wants to kill a lot of people, they will have them canning their green beans and venison in hot water baths.

Comment

That's funny, allegnmtn! I don't care who you are! LOL!

Comment

allegnmtn

Read an article by a "homesteader" once that told of an older woman who opened a jar of corn. He said she looked at it a second and told him there was "...sumthin' wrong...", walked out into the backyard and poured it out for her chickens. He said when they got up the next morning, about half her chickens were dead!
                    There were no marks on them! Best they could figure was botulism in the corn!
                    Personally, I try to freeze all non-acidics. Snap beans, peas, etc, etc... I think it's safer.

Comment

I think it will depend on what state you live in, but it may be like 22lr ammo, none around and no reason for it!

Comment

May have to have the pressure cookers registered and/or kept in a specially designed safe when not actually on the stove. I wonder if they'll push to have serial #s for the contents like they are trying to do for ammo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad