Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was in the bill that was defeated in the senate today? All the explanations given by the media are vague, figures I guess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    "Common sense solutions" have no basis in actual common sense. Were we actually seeking sensible solutions, the proposals by the NRA to train school personnel and some other proposals submitted would not have been shouted down so loudly. Why do we still have "Gun Free Zones" when every mass shooting takes place in a gun free zone? Why do the children of the Capon-in-Chief deserve armed security on top of Secret Service protection, and the other children in America do not? Why does Joe Biden privately admit that no law, nor no new law, would have prevented the Sandy Hook shootings? Why? Why? Why?
    Why does every "common sense proposal" for "reasonable gun control" take away the freedom of the law abiding, and never gets to the root of the problem of gun violence, nor provides for the active prosecution of the 20,000 +/- gun laws already on the books?
    Why is Eric Holder, the gunrunner-in-chief, not behind bars? Why? Why? Why?

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    BTW, the city of Newtown, Conn. has a Police Dept. with 33 patrolmen and about ten people in administration. Their duty is to protect and serve.
    They are presently hiring new recruits, offering a salary of $50,000 to $65,000.
    Perhaps they could spare one or two patrolmen for school protection. I haven't heard that mentioned as a "common sense solution" everyone in Washington is seeking.
    Where is the mayor in all this?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Nah AAM, things will never be "normal" again. We will reach a new "normalcy", scarce ammo, guns and reloading supplies.
    Just like Japan in WWII, Obama and the left has only "...awakened a sleeping giant..."!
    Gun owners, now fearing the "worst" from Obama (and his "...Round One..." statement confirms it!) will continue to "hoard" weapons (especially the AR type!), ammo and reloading supplies.
    My personal "view" is that we are seeing the "beginning of the end".
    The "anti's" see yesterday's defeat as a glass half full! Only 6 votes shy of passing! Just a few more "leftist" lies, a couple more Dem seats in the Senate and Congress and we can take "one more step" towards a gun free society!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    AAM, it will never be normal. Another school shooting in this country will get the three Stooges in Washington to start all over again.
    I’m not talking about the funny comedians Larry, Curly, and Moe. The three Stooges in Washington are Barack, Joe and Diane.

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    Maybe now things will get back to normal.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    In her current condition, I doubt Gabby Giffords could compose a cogent sentence. She has become a pawn of the Left just like Jim Brady was.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    IMHO, responsibility for the safety of our schoolchildren resides with the local board of education, and not the federal government.
    It should not be occupying the president's time when foreign nations with nuclear capabilities have declared war on us.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Gabby Gifford wrote a scathing letter that will be out tomorrow in the New York Time. Another example of weak minded thinking of 'why doesn't someone do something?'

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    Del in KS - I contest it wasn't a victory for anybody, but it wasn't a loss to law abiding gun owners. The reason it wasn't a victory for anybody is because 4 months were spent debating this issue, and NOTHING was done to increase the safety of our children in school. NOTHING was done to get violent criminals off the street. NOTHING was done to get the mentally ill the help they need, and MILLIONS of dollars were spent by both battling parties to accomplish NOTHING. Nobody won...but nobody lost. I suppose if you want to count that as a win, you could.

Had that bill passed...SOMETHING would have been done, but NOBODY would have won anything, because a background check doesn't keep our kids safe in school, it doesn't keep violent criminals off the street, and it doesn't remove the mentally from society to receive the help they need. Because of the path our elected leaders decided to take, this whole issue was really a lose-lose scenario for everyone, no matter the outcome.

We're not out of the water yet...there's a lot of state house bills still up in the air. Let's do all we can to help our fellow gun owning brethren with their state-side battles.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Those who are trying to "make sense" of today's vote fail to appreciate the sense of harassment we gun owners experience every time there is a high-profile shooting in this country, knowing that some grandstanding politicians will exploit the incident, using grieving parents as props, and try to pass some feel-good law so they can claim to have "done something."
    Supporters of the defeated bill pledge to continue their quest for "common sense solutions" to gun violence. I think they would do well to check out the security at Granite Hills High School at El Cajon, California, where in 2001 a disgruntled student decided to shoot up the place. He was wounded and arrested by a police officer stationed at the school after wounding five employees. He later hanged himself in prison.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Interesting that so many fools fell on their swords to please their emperor Obama. Hopefully their folly will end their political lives.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    This was a victory for gun owners.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    The bill would have required background checks for transfer of firearms between parties who were NOT licensed dealers. At present, only licensed dealers are required to conduct a background check on purchasers.
    It would have exempted transfers between close relatives (for now), but it was just another nibble at our gun rights, and the gun grabbers would soon be back for more.
    If the background check is regarded as a minor inconvenience, just imagine a new law requiring women to pay a fee for a background check each time she went to a hairdresser to change the color of her hair.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    basically it was a very bad bill, creating a huge bureaucracy to track and maintain background checks, which would be a system just looking for a reason to determine that someone was not qualified to purchase(code own) a firearm. The fools that think this type of legislation is a good idea do not think about who is sponsoring these laws, legislators that want a total ban on firearms.

Leave a comment:

• What was in the bill that was defeated in the senate today? All the explanations given by the media are vague, figures I guess.

What was in the bill that was defeated in the senate today? All the explanations given by the media are vague, figures I guess. All they say is it was ment to "expand background checks". I need details.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad