Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best hunting revolver. S&W X-Frame revolvers (.460 and .500) are not acceptable answers. Go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shane
    replied
    I excluded them because I knew they would come up. I wanted to hear about others.

Leave a comment:

• John Benjamin Tatum
    replied
    I have extensive hunting experience with the following three revolvers... Smith & Wesson 627 N Frame - .357 Magnum - w/scope, Smith & Wesson 629 N Frame - .44 Magnum - w/scope, Smith & Wesson 500 X Frame - .500 S&W Magnum w/scope... and when I go hunting with a handgun I carry all three with me.
    It all depends on what my game is, and what predators are in the field. Some areas, a Model 627 is considered illegal for taking game due to it being too small of a caliber (but great for taking down predators). The Model 500 is the ultimate game weapon, but the starter of this thread excluded the X-Frame models (why? Perhaps due to the retail price, mine is "second hand" because five rounds ONLY were fired in it, by someone with no large frame handgun experience, and the price was half retail).
    So the Model 629 is the only weapon that is legal in every jurisdiction in the United States for Game Hunting. So if I MUST exclude the Model 500, the Model 629 is my choice for a handgun for all size game and predators if I must have only one.
    But, I believe in the Model 500 because it is a "sniper revolver" or "hunter revolver"... where if you are a true hunter, it should be a situation where cruelty never occurs, so "one shot, one kill". A Model 627 or Model 629, while you can do the same... you must be much closer for a similar effect or have a heavier grain load and different bullet.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with idduckhntr and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    What does revolver mean to you, Rem700-06?

Leave a comment:

• dangerous game
    replied
    ruger super redhawk .454 cassull.

Leave a comment:

• Fardarrigger
    replied
    I inherited what was my dream revolver as a kid from my Dad, a Ruger Redhawk .41 Magnum with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It shoots like a dream, and is more accurate than I am. Recoil on the loads I have used is pretty minimal, and it is altogether a sweet gun. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• Rem700-06
    replied
    T/C Encore, currently chambered in 45-70. One of the best things about the gun is it's versatility, for half the price of a new pistol you can buy a new barrel in a different caliber.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    Ruger RedHawk in 44 Magnum is great for anything from antelope to Moose. For the bigger things I would say the BFR revolvers chambered in 444 Marlin , 450 Marlin or 45/70 Govt.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    Love my .41 mag. Feels like half the recoil compared to my .44, deadly accurate. Love my .44 too, and have seen it do impressive things to whitetails.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    DakotaMan: Long ago I got John Linebaugh to help out with my old model Super Blackhawk three screw 7 1/2". After much persuading he agreeded to cut the barrel back to 4 5/8" and put an absolutely outstanding trigger job on it. This makes an awesome revolver to pack when walking or horseback. I carry it in a reworked Bianchi holster in crossdraw fashion. With this carry I can easily reach the gun with a coat on, if I encounter a bear and have to assume the "fetal position" I might be able to pull the .44, and I can glance down to see if it is still in the holster after a fall or a bucking horse episode. But as you mentioned the muzzle blast with HOT 265 gr hard cast wide meplat bullets is horrendous as is the flame of the 296 residue. Five quick rounds from this little piece makes you and everything around you think that the gates of hell were temporarily opened so we all can feel the heat and say a prayer. I really don't notice any increase in recoil although physics dictates that there should be more than a 7 1/2 incher. I learned to prefer the weight in hand balance of the shorter barrel although it felt a bit odd initially.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Yeah I was wondering how much Freedom Arms were going to be mentioned. I would love one too, but the price, whooeee.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    As much as I like Super Blackhawks and various versions of the M-29, I would have to go with the Freedom Arms single action revolvers. Regardless of caliber they have at least two things that everyone agrees on: high quality and high price. Unfortunately the last piece keeps me from buying one. I would pay that much for a rifle but somehow can't bring myself to ante up a couple grand for a revolver.
    Even if in the rare event that you locate a used one it is still unacceptably expensive. I suppose that speaks highly of the inherent quality.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I really like my Ruger Redhawk in .44mag, 7 1/2 inch barrel. I can actually hit accurately enough to deer hunt at 100 yards with practice. The recoil is manageable but it has enough thump to drop anything up to deer size. The only slight issue with it is that it is heavy to carry at 4 pounds + a ton of lead but I rationalize that away knowing the fact that it is reducing felt recoil. (Oh, also there is a slight problem with having to carry a fire extinguisher on my back to put out the trees and bushes when I shoot! I like real hot loads and they shoot flames about three feet to each side causing severe forest fire risk! lol).

Leave a comment:

replied
    Super Blackhawk in barrel length appropriate to the task at hand.

Leave a comment:

• jasonb
    replied
    .454 Casull. It delivers similar energy to a 30-30. The Freedom Arms revolvers are awesome; but you can get a Ruger Super Redhawk for half the cost.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad