Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best hunting revolver. S&W X-Frame revolvers (.460 and .500) are not acceptable answers. Go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger RedHawk in 44 Magnum is great for anything from antelope to Moose. For the bigger things I would say the BFR revolvers chambered in 444 Marlin , 450 Marlin or 45/70 Govt.

Comment

T/C Encore, currently chambered in 45-70. One of the best things about the gun is it's versatility, for half the price of a new pistol you can buy a new barrel in a different caliber.

Comment

I inherited what was my dream revolver as a kid from my Dad, a Ruger Redhawk .41 Magnum with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It shoots like a dream, and is more accurate than I am. Recoil on the loads I have used is pretty minimal, and it is altogether a sweet gun. Love it.

Comment

ruger super redhawk .454 cassull.

Comment

What does revolver mean to you, Rem700-06?

Comment

Agreed with idduckhntr and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I have extensive hunting experience with the following three revolvers... Smith & Wesson 627 N Frame - .357 Magnum - w/scope, Smith & Wesson 629 N Frame - .44 Magnum - w/scope, Smith & Wesson 500 X Frame - .500 S&W Magnum w/scope... and when I go hunting with a handgun I carry all three with me.
                It all depends on what my game is, and what predators are in the field. Some areas, a Model 627 is considered illegal for taking game due to it being too small of a caliber (but great for taking down predators). The Model 500 is the ultimate game weapon, but the starter of this thread excluded the X-Frame models (why? Perhaps due to the retail price, mine is "second hand" because five rounds ONLY were fired in it, by someone with no large frame handgun experience, and the price was half retail).
                So the Model 629 is the only weapon that is legal in every jurisdiction in the United States for Game Hunting. So if I MUST exclude the Model 500, the Model 629 is my choice for a handgun for all size game and predators if I must have only one.
                But, I believe in the Model 500 because it is a "sniper revolver" or "hunter revolver"... where if you are a true hunter, it should be a situation where cruelty never occurs, so "one shot, one kill". A Model 627 or Model 629, while you can do the same... you must be much closer for a similar effect or have a heavier grain load and different bullet.

Comment

I excluded them because I knew they would come up. I wanted to hear about others.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad