Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best hunting revolver. S&W X-Frame revolvers (.460 and .500) are not acceptable answers. Go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hunting revolver. S&W X-Frame revolvers (.460 and .500) are not acceptable answers. Go.

Best hunting revolver. S&W; X-Frame revolvers (.460 and .500) are not acceptable answers. Go.

I would have to say my ruger blackhawk with a 9 1/2 in. barrel in a 44 mag.

Comment

S&W 629 .44mag 8 and three eights inch barrel.

Comment

Nothing beats a 44 mag. I really enjoy my ruger blackhawk although the barrel is not quite long enough. Anything in 44 mag makes quite a hunting handgun though

Comment

My S&W 7 shot 686 6 inch stainless in .357 has been a faithful companion on my hip in the wolf, cougar, and bear infested mountains of Idaho. I hit what I aim at, and it doesn't weight me down as badly as some of the larger magnums.... 158 grain semi Flat Point Oregon Trail Laser Cast Silver bullets loaded over a stiff dosage of Lil Gun seem to penetrate into the vitals of about any animal I encounter around my neck of the woods out to 100 yards or so....

Comment

Freedom Arms 454.

Comment

Well you took out the best two but a 454 or a AMT 30 carbine come to mind.

Comment

T/C Contender .44mag,30TC,7mm Waters,.30-30,.270,.30-06

Comment

.454 Casull. It delivers similar energy to a 30-30. The Freedom Arms revolvers are awesome; but you can get a Ruger Super Redhawk for half the cost.

Comment

Super Blackhawk in barrel length appropriate to the task at hand.

Comment

I really like my Ruger Redhawk in .44mag, 7 1/2 inch barrel. I can actually hit accurately enough to deer hunt at 100 yards with practice. The recoil is manageable but it has enough thump to drop anything up to deer size. The only slight issue with it is that it is heavy to carry at 4 pounds + a ton of lead but I rationalize that away knowing the fact that it is reducing felt recoil. (Oh, also there is a slight problem with having to carry a fire extinguisher on my back to put out the trees and bushes when I shoot! I like real hot loads and they shoot flames about three feet to each side causing severe forest fire risk! lol).

Comment

As much as I like Super Blackhawks and various versions of the M-29, I would have to go with the Freedom Arms single action revolvers. Regardless of caliber they have at least two things that everyone agrees on: high quality and high price. Unfortunately the last piece keeps me from buying one. I would pay that much for a rifle but somehow can't bring myself to ante up a couple grand for a revolver.
                        Even if in the rare event that you locate a used one it is still unacceptably expensive. I suppose that speaks highly of the inherent quality.

Comment

Yeah I was wondering how much Freedom Arms were going to be mentioned. I would love one too, but the price, whooeee.

Comment

DakotaMan: Long ago I got John Linebaugh to help out with my old model Super Blackhawk three screw 7 1/2". After much persuading he agreeded to cut the barrel back to 4 5/8" and put an absolutely outstanding trigger job on it. This makes an awesome revolver to pack when walking or horseback. I carry it in a reworked Bianchi holster in crossdraw fashion. With this carry I can easily reach the gun with a coat on, if I encounter a bear and have to assume the "fetal position" I might be able to pull the .44, and I can glance down to see if it is still in the holster after a fall or a bucking horse episode. But as you mentioned the muzzle blast with HOT 265 gr hard cast wide meplat bullets is horrendous as is the flame of the 296 residue. Five quick rounds from this little piece makes you and everything around you think that the gates of hell were temporarily opened so we all can feel the heat and say a prayer. I really don't notice any increase in recoil although physics dictates that there should be more than a 7 1/2 incher. I learned to prefer the weight in hand balance of the shorter barrel although it felt a bit odd initially.

Comment

Love my .41 mag. Feels like half the recoil compared to my .44, deadly accurate. Love my .44 too, and have seen it do impressive things to whitetails.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                                Today, 01:16 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by FirstBubba
                                Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                                Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                                Today, 01:12 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                                He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                                Today, 01:11 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X