Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which is more relaible - shotguns or rifles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is more relaible - shotguns or rifles?

which is more relaible - shotguns or rifles?

It's not the shotgun or rifle, it's the action which it is built on.

Comment

Depends on how good you take care of em.

Comment

right and wrong. it's also the person shooting it. it's only as reliable as the person pulling the trigger.

Comment

I agree with Streak. And since both shotguns and rifles have been made in: Single shot, double barrel, pump, semi-auto and bolt action, you can't really pick one over the other. I also agree with Husker guy, how you take care of them is the biggest determining factor. I have an Ithaca 16ga SxS that I still bird hunt with and it's over 100 years old. Someone obviously took good care of it.

Comment

That can depend heavily on the round that is being fired through either.

Comment

What kind of performance and what are you doing with them?

Comment

Also depends on what you are hunting

Comment

Also depends on what you are hunting

Comment

What are you going to hunt?

Comment

Your compairing "apples" -n- Oranges. Ya need to be a little more specific please.

Comment

like Big O posted are you talking about how accurate or how trust worthy and reliable they are or what?

Comment

Same... As far as mechanical reliability of the fire arm, both are the same if you take care of them and compare pumps to pumps, single shots to single shots, etc. Each will normally last many lifetimes. Double barrels more reliable than pumps, pumps more reliable than automatics in terms of liability for mechanical failures.

As far as their ability to get a shot off to get game or save your life, both have the same weaknesses as far as liability for jams or misfires. Automatics jam occassionally and get worse when the conditions get worse. However, if you load a double barrel shotgun or a double rifle, it is ready to go and it will rarely malfunction when needed. That is why they use them on very dangerous game. I must say that I personally have had slightly higher reliability in rifles than shotguns because of the cartriges used. Shotgun reloads are more difficult to load properly and they may not load in the chamber as well as factory loads when they age and as they are exposed to the elements while hunting. Rifle cartriges are a little more impervious to weather and age and tend to load consistently in the chamber under all conditions. Especially rifle cartriges made for dangerous game like the .375 H&H... VERY RELIABLE shape for dealing with contaminants, chamber loading and unloading.

If I were concerned about reliability, I would be thinking single shot, double barrel, pump, bolt action, automatic, etc. versus rifle or shotgun.

Comment

I would have to say rifle because they are more reliable for bigger game at bigger distances.

Comment

Depends shot guns are normally used for small game unless you use a slug. And Rifles are used for bigger distances and bigger game.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad