Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what are your thoughts on the 21 age limit on handguns? I will post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gator fan 2017
    replied
    military should be able to own a pistol at 18

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have posted this before, but I was an eighteen year old soldier, trained to fight communists with a M-14 7.62 x 51 gas operated rifle, and could not buy .22 rimfire to hunt rabbits with while home on leave. Go figure!
    However, I bought my first pistol, a .357 Magnum Colt SAA, from the PX in Ft. Benning, GA, at age 20. Guess the Army thought a returned veteran with a CMB was able to responsibly handle a hand gun. The PX even sold me .357 ammunition!
    Hell yes, there should be a military exemption!

Leave a comment:

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    The human brain does not mature until 21. Thats why. If it ain’t broke, don;t fix it. 99 is dead on.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I know our legislators would roll over in their grave but all my friends and I shot pistols a lot from about the age of 7. We didn't own them but our dads taught us how to shoot them and we used them for hunting and target practice just like the family's rifles and shotguns.

We enjoyed shooting pistols because of the lower recoil at an early age and we liked the challenge of shooting them well. I shot on mny university pistol team starting my freshman year at the age of 18 and two members of that team were inter-collegiant all-Americans before they were 21.

I know that in our large metropolitan areas, pistols are viewed as crime tools but like most of the firearm restrictions, this ban really won't make any difference in those areas. Very few of those pistols owned for the purpose of crime are legally owned. Maybe they should pass a law making STEALING pistols before you are 21 illegal. Oh wait! I believe that there IS such a law! How's that working out?

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Ditto~~99,Ga hunter,SD~Dave..+1
    I was drafted at 19~Vietnam,I could Drink,Vote,Drive,Played with Uncle Sam's Toys,But could NOT own a Handgun till age 21.You are an Adult in eyes of the Law at 21+, We were Boy Scouts with-out Adult Supervision....LMAO

Leave a comment:

• CoyoteHunter
    replied
    Gotta agree with 99ex on this one. Especially the last part. In my opinion there are several age restrictions that should have military exceptions. If a person is mature enough to fight a war, then they're mature enough to own a handgun and have a drink. Though, maybe not at the same time :-)

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    When I was in the service I had all the parts to build a couple of 1911 .45 autos except for the frames. Because I was not 21 no one would sell me a frame upon which to build my own .45 auto even though I was building, repairing and using all manner of firearm for Uncle Sam. Gun laws, making the world a safer place since 1776. Yeah, right!

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    I don't like it. I feel the same way about the drinking age. If your legally an adult then it's not of anybody's concern what I do or buy as long as I'm not harming anybody.

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    +1 for 99, I believe people serving in the military should be able to purchase a handgun if they're under 21. I'd like to see that law changed, but gun owners have a bigger war to fight right now.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Although I don't feel very strongly about it, I think it's probably a good idea. Handguns pose some safety hazards not inherent in rifles and shotguns, and a higher minimum age for purchasing handguns allows more time for familiarization with firearms.
    I would make an exception for persons actually serving in the military.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    Politically the only voters it concerns are 18-20 year olds which is not a large or strong voting block. Therefore even pro-gun lawmakers are not concerned enough to change it. I do not have a problem with it but I am over 21 by two decades.

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    I don't understand why at the age 18, 19 or 20 you can join the military, vote, buy long guns and be considered a U.S. citizen. But you can't buy a handgun.

Leave a comment:

• So what are your thoughts on the 21 age limit on handguns? I will post.

So what are your thoughts on the 21 age limit on handguns? I will post.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad