Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking to purchase my first handgun, I have shot a few handguns and carried a MEUSOC Colt 1911 while deployed. This will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking to purchase my first handgun, I have shot a few handguns and carried a MEUSOC Colt 1911 while deployed. This will

I am looking to purchase my first handgun, I have shot a few handguns and carried a MEUSOC Colt 1911 while deployed. This will eventually be my CC weapon and I want it in either .40 S&W; or .357 SIG. Any ideas?

You might want to look at a SIG 226, you can interchange the 40 and 357SIG barels in the same pistol.

Comment

If I was going for the 40 S&W, I'd go for the 10mm!

Of coures the .460 Rowlings is still on my list, a 1911A1 drop in barrel conversion with the performance of a 44 mag

I’ve been thinking my next handgun will be the
      FN Five-seveN , 5.7x28mm cartridge shooting a 40 grain at 1950 fps.
      http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF003&gid=FNG001
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28mm

Comment

If you convert to a .460 Rowland make certain to include a compensator to dampen slide velocity to prevent damage. The Rowland case is 1.59mm longer than a conventional ACP so the case of an ACP will no longer headspace on the case mouth but instead be held by the extractor prior to firing. A spring change is necessary since the ACP typically has 21000 PSI versus 40000 for the Rowland so an ACP might not cycle the converted pistol. Properly done the Rowland indeed does make the 1911 approach .44 mag velocities with selected loads and bullets. It is also not difficult to convert the pistol back to its original configuration allowing a considerable degree of flexibility. I think Clark still offers the conversation but most any competent gunsmith can make the necessary changes with the proper parts. The Rowland is a very enjoyable round as is the lower powered Super. Of course cost of operation increases considerably with each choice as does difficulty in having a reliable brass supply.
        I prefer the 10 mm over the 40 Short & Weak but ammo is hard to locate as it obviously is a dying round most likely due to law enforcement embracing the .40 and lack of promotion of the 10 mm. The .357 Sig is a .38 Super which shoots faster and cycles easier, great round if again you can locate brass or ammo.

Comment

You'll love either one, and end up buying the other somewhere down the line. If you are familiar with the 1911, I would ask why you wouldn't carry one of those. They may not seam concealable but are very much so. I'd rather shoot a .45 myself.

Comment

I did not mean to indicate that the .38 Super and .38 Sig are the same case but just close insofar as performance. The ease of cycling gained by the Sig is due to the bottleneck configuration. Both are nice rounds to load and shoot with minimal recoil.

Comment

The boys at "Gun Site Academy" carry .45's until "they start making somthing bigger" because you are going to defend your/someones life with this weapon.
              There are several c.c in .45, Kimber,Para-Ordance are a couple that come to mind.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

the 40s&w and the 357sig have the same case but the bullet of the 357 is smaller and faster. as far as guns go the sig 226 is a great choice but i would go with a glock model 22, just like the sig 226 you can swap from a 40 cal barrel to a 357 barrel in seconds, i my self would choose the glock model 22 40S&W, plus the ammo is alot cheaper for the 40cal.

Comment

I like the S&W M&P autos, but also have come recently to really like the Beretta Px4 Storm pistols, you should look into them.

Comment

I know everyone loves those big guns and I do too, but I honestly believe a .380 is suitable for personal protection. My wife and I both carry 9mm and I never, ever worry that I won't have enough gun if I need it.

Comment

Between the .40 S&W and the .357 SIG, both good choices for a personal sidearm, I lean toward the .40 S&W for the most practical of reasons: I can easily obtain the ammunition where I live and in the areas where I visit because it's available and affordable. The components (particularly the brass) are normally conveniently available and reasonably priced, though my local resources don't seem to have much of anything on the shelves at this writing. This choice is a win-win situation, but I'd go for the .40 S&W. Semper Fi.

Comment

Like idahooutdoors said; take a look at the beretta px4. They have compact and full size versions for .40 sw. If I could carry, I'd get the px4.

If price is not much of a concern; Sigs cannot be beat.

Comment

Thanks all for the posts, I am looking at possibly the Glock 27 right now in .40 S&W. I really want a .357 sig but the ammo right now is so hard for me to find. But the reason I am going towards the glock is their military discount. I would be able to order direct from them for $398 plus shipping and all the other fees. Buckthesystem I loved my 1911 but right now they are just a little out of my price range, guess I should have mentioned that in the question. But again thank you are for the responses. Semper Fi

Comment

If you must pick between those 2, get the .40. As EJP said, more ammo available.

I recommend a .45. Clay's suggestion of a 10mm is a good one, but the ammo is not as common.

Comment

Just got the 9mm S&W, MP. Love it, when i can find the loads so that I can shoot it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad