Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my 9mm Luger (WWII production) handle +P ammo? My guess has always been yes, but I have yet to find a resource that discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my 9mm Luger (WWII production) handle +P ammo? My guess has always been yes, but I have yet to find a resource that discuss

Can my 9mm Luger (WWII production) handle +P ammo? My guess has always been yes, but I have yet to find a resource that discusses this, and I'm not willing to try it until I get a definite answer.

More than likely the Luger of WWII vintage would support a limited diet of +P but I strongly urge you to be content with garden variety 9 mm Parabellum ammo. As I remember the submachine gun 9 mm rounds were not recommended for use in Lugers or P-38s. Given the age of the gun, its value, probable lack of use history, its somewhat fragile design, and the fact that we don;t want you injured just shoot standard velocity ammo and be happy. I sure wish I had not traded off my pristine DWM long ago.

Comment

Don't think you want to try it!

I don't think the bolt assembly could handle the added pressure creating additional bolt velocity coming back.

Comment

By the way a Luger of any barrel length except for the longest versions with a loaded magazine is one of the most natural pointing pistols I have ever handled. Just point and shoot like with a Colt SAA, 1911, or properly stocked M-19 six incher and the bullet finds its way to the target.

Comment

No. During the war, the hotter loaded stuff was marked as such for one specific weapon. 8mm for the MGs were stamped and 9mm for the MP38/40 was stamped.

Comment

I consider the P-08 an eminently "shootable" piece, but I wouldn't risk affecting collector value or pushing the envelope for a necessary repair on a pistol like this.

Comment

Thanks, all. This is what I figured. There is not a single good reason to put +P thru this thing, but I had to know.

Yes, this thing does point like a wand. It's unbelievable. It's infinitely fun to shoot.

Comment

My friend, I am a Luger expert and have collected them for over 20 years. And this is right out of Fred Datig's "The Luger Pistol." A Luger can handle 10 times the chamber pressure it was designed for. It is the strongest 9mm platform for a handgun that was ever created. Your GUN WILL HANDLE IT! I assure you! These people do not no anything. The possibility of breaking an ejector or ejector exists with any ammo.

Comment

continue: The reason why A lot of Luger's will not function properly is because the ammunition is not hot enough! Again anytime an ejector or extractor can break on a gun that is over 50 years old, but it will NOT blow up in your face due to high powered ammo.This thing can handle UZI ammo This is a solid fact and the sources are from the most respected Luger expert in the world, Fred Datig.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad