Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has Field and Stream not made any comment about the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show banning all Assault Weapon displays. I k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has Field and Stream not made any comment about the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show banning all Assault Weapon displays. I k

Why has Field and Stream not made any comment about the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show banning all Assault Weapon displays. I know of several outdoor related companies refusing to participate in the show now and applaud their decisions. I may not attend either. Anyone else?

I was going to attend this year, but I have made the decision not to go since they have decided to leave out vendors of certain firearms. I don't who got to them but I know several people who go every year that aren't going this year.

Comment

Why is it Field and Stream's duty to comment on the actions of a privately owned business conducting their business as they see fit? I would tell F&S to pound sand if they told me how to run my business! Personally, I would not attend that show for them being lily-livered panderers to the liberal left, but F&S should report the news or keep their trap shut.

Comment

Reed Exibitions is probably not going to be hurt much by a boycott. I'd donate to the NRA-ILA if you oppose their stance, its more effective. The show benefits us sportsman, outfitters and companys by providing a venue for them to market thier goods and services. They would be hurt more by lower attendance than a rich boy exibition company.

Comment

I think their just trying to pacify the masses who are panicking over guns and more possible mass murders in the future.
          WAM, this is the largest Sportsmen show on the east coast. It should carry some credibility
          with Field and Stream, to cover the ban on a few semi auto guns.

Comment

Cabelas pulls out of the Sportsmen Show. Today's newspaper. Gary

The Delaware County Daily Times (delcotimes.com), Serving Delaware County, PA

Cabela's pulls out of Pa. show over gun flap
            Sunday, January 20, 2013 By RON TODT, Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Hunting and fishing retailer Cabela's Inc. will not participate in what has been billed as Pennsylvania's largest outdoor sports show next month following the decision to ban the display and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

Event organizer Reed Exhibitions imposed the ban at the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show following the deadly Connecticut elementary school shooting that has prompted the ongoing gun control debate in Washington.

The event's website says officials "strongly support the 2nd Amendment" but decided negative attention on such weapons "would distract from the strong focus on hunting and fishing at this family-oriented event and possibly disrupt the broader positive experience of our guests."

Cabela's said on its Facebook page on Saturday that after carefully considering their business practices "and the feelings of our customers, Cabela's will, unfortunately, not have a presence at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show."

Event director Chris O'Hara of Reed Exhibitions did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

The nine-day show is scheduled to open Feb. 2 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

Word of the event organizer's action drew numerous calls for a boycott from gun enthusiasts on the show's Facebook page and accusations that Reed wasn't standing up for their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

The National Rifle Association issued a statement calling upon Reed Exhibitions to reconsider, saying their future participation in the show would be determined by the response. The NRA also urged members to follow the organization's lead by "voicing their displeasure."

Several other companies earlier announced their intention to withdraw from the show. The (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era said Kinsey's Outdoors of Mount Joy, Lancaster Archery Supply and Trop Gun Shop of Elizabethtown had said they do not intend to participate.

Cabela's Inc., of Sidney, Neb., currently has 40 outdoor gear and sporting goods stores across the United States and Canada.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad