Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first of the New York legal gun owners whose names and addresses were published by a screw-ball liberal anti-gun newspaper h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first of the New York legal gun owners whose names and addresses were published by a screw-ball liberal anti-gun newspaper h

The first of the New York legal gun owners whose names and addresses were published by a screw-ball liberal anti-gun newspaper has been burglarized and an attempt made to get into their gun safe. The real problem is not the goofy misguided newspaper, but, rather, the fact that New York citizens must seek a permit to exercise their constitutional right to keep and bear arms. This magazine does not need to seek permission to exercise their right to freedom of the press guaranteed by the first amendment, and we do not need to seek government permission to exercise our freedom of speech to post here. So, why in a free country do New York citizens need to seek government permission to exercise their second amendment right? They already go through a background check to buy the firearm, so why should they need to then have to seek permission of the government to keep that firearm in their private property?

Being born, raised and still a resident of New York, I couldn't agree with you more. It seems that our once proud state, where the blood of American patriots had been shed and many of America's finest firearms were once made in war and peace, is a home for the rich and arrogant and the poor and ignorant, with both groups feeding off each other. In 1980 a law was passed that ANYONE caught with a un-registered handgun (handgun permits had been needed for more years then I know) would face a minimum 1 year in prison. This was seldom enforced, like so many other gun laws but if you are a liberal politician, it makes you feel warm all over. Meanwhile the body count in the inner cities grows and grows, and the blame is laid at the feet of the law-abiding gun-owner. Mind you, this is a state that has toy-gun buy backs, so how does one fight that mindset? My son got dirty looks from his teacher when he (at 10) brought in a Military Heritage magazine for a class project, and cannot share his weekend hunting with his classmates without trouble. Police are asked to go un-armed when speaking (on duty) to kids about drugs and crime. It's not all bad, but I feel like this isn't home anymore and yet I still love my home. Let this be a lesson to all who don't want to get involved; Speak up, involve your children in outdoor sports with YOU, ( a little less organized hockey, baseball, travel sports, whatever) and more hunting, shooting, camping, hiking, fishing, trapping, bring a fatherless kid with you too. I'm outnumbered now, you will be too, if you don't work at it. Forgive my rant.

Comment

I love NY, NY dont love me, Im sad to say after living my whole life here, with the new gun laws passed last night when I graduate from my Adirondack College I will leave this state, if It doesnt welcome ALL my rights, then Im not welcome in it. Me and my Mini-14, AR-15 and high capacity Mags will have to find a new place to call home. But I always have my lifetime resident hunting and fishing licenses, for bow, rifle, and muzzleloader, so I can come back and enjoy the deer hunting and turkey hunting when ever I want.

Comment

I was born and raised on Long Island, and things have definitely changed over the years. It seems like when I was young, everyone hunted. Now, were a minority. I overheard a Mom at a girls softball game say something like Only crack dealers, and crack pots have guns. I smiled, and told her storm troopers, and Tyrants have them too. She didn't get it. Like most of the state. They take freedom for granted.

Comment

Why in God's name would the stupid New York Politicians want names and addresses of gun owners, posted in the newspapers?
          Most thieves who commit robberies on homes, target guns, cash and jewelry.
          The newspapers just gave all the hoodlums work orders of houses to target.
          If the crooks are successful, now those legally owned guns are on the New York streets to kill and to be used in other crimes. Like Forrest Gump says in the movie, "Stupid is Stupid Does."

Comment

I read recently that someone posted the names and addresses of that newspaper's executives and employees on the internet. Now they are being harassed with calls and letters at home, and have had to hire private security officers.
            Isn't that just awful?:-)

Comment

Wow! A required background check and electronic data base for all ammunition purchases? Now when you are pulled over for speeding the assumption will be made that you are armed and dangerous or if your crazy ex-wife wants to file bogus charges for assault, which is not uncommon in dirty divorces, you will again be assumed armed and dangerous. I will assume this data base will be public and available to potential employers, the media and so forth.

I had hoped I would never see anything like this in my lifetime. The Second Amendment aside, this steps on a persons fundamental right to living a normal everyday life.

Comment

New York the safest City and State in the country! You guys got to sleep in the bed you made! Even if the rapist with a gun is laying with you.

Comment

I just read that the New York State definition of a high-capacity magazine is now one holding more than seven rounds. Previously, it was ten rounds.
                  This is a new law about to be signed by Gov. Cuomo, and would criminalize the possession of a loaded eight-round magazine for a pistol. Colt 1911 owners would be okay, but pity the Browning Hi-power and Beretta M92 owners.

Comment

I should add that the new law also requires sellers of ammunition to register with the state, and do a background check on all purchasers of ammunition.
                    Owners of high-capacity magazines would have one year to dispose of them out of state. WOW!
                    Almost all of the modern semi-auto pistols have high-capacity magazines under the new definition.

Comment

99explorer
                      Nothing in the proposed rules about mental health - or lack thereof ?
                      I go to N.Y. to hunt deer, is a semi auto rifle still o.k.?

Comment

The new law, just signed by the Governor, requires mental health professionals to report patients to the police for expressing an intent to do violence with a firearm.
                        It also redefines "assault weapon" as a semi-automatic rifle that has any ONE of four cosmetic features: a folding stock, a pistol grip, a flash suppressor or a bayonet stud. Owners of such weapons may keep them, but must register them with the police within one year.
                        Future sales of such assault rifles are prohibited.
                        I don't know the status of non-resident hunters using semi-automatic rifles, but it would seem to be okay if the rifle has none of the four taboo features. JMO.

Comment

P.S. It is believed that Gov. Cuomo rushed the law through for political gain, in order to be the FIRST IN THE NATION. He waived the three-day public hearing period required by the state constitution, and announced the new law amid great fanfare.
                          It is expected to be challenged in the courts.

Comment

I haven't read the fine print, but it is remotely possible that the new definition of high-capacity magazines would be applicable only to rifles, but I think that is too much to hope for.

Comment

So, is it safe to assume that the manufacturers are tooling up to make NY approved ARs that will have thumbhole stock, crowned barrel and lots of picatinny rail that will mount lots of 7-rd magazine holders. And they will be bought as fast as they hit stores. Then Mr. Cuomo will learn the hard lesson that the same number of unprotected helpless school kids can be killed with three 7-rd mags as with one 20-rd mag. The type of gun is not the problem. The lack of security at schools sitting in "gun-free zones" is the problem.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X