Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a method of keeping rifle brass shining? I tumble my brass, lube, load and wipe clean with a dry rag. The brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a method of keeping rifle brass shining? I tumble my brass, lube, load and wipe clean with a dry rag. The brass

Does anyone have a method of keeping rifle brass shining? I tumble my brass, lube, load and wipe clean with a dry rag. The brass sparkles when I am done but a month or two later, the brass is dull and looks bad. Is there a treatment or technique that will keep the brass shining like new? Factory brass doesn't seem to do this as quickly as my reloads.

moist air is the enemy!

After resizing, I tumble the brass again removing any and all residue and make sure before reloading all the media especially the primer pocket and flash hole. After loading, I place my loaded cases in zip lock bags with a slip of paper what the type and bullet weight, type powder and how many grains, type of primer, the date loaded and any special notes. Then I put them in a GI ammo can for storage in a cool dry place.

Comment

Sounds good Clay! Thanks much! I have been reluctant to tumble again because it takes time to clear the flash holes of media. But if that will keep the cases shining, its worth it. I do the same routine with the plastic bags and the ammo cans so I am on my way. It must be the lube residue that is my problem.

Comment

Hit the wrong button there! I meant to say, the lube is the problem in addition to the moist air.

Comment

In addition I put a charcoal bricket in a Bull Durham bag in with them. That soaks up the moisture. When the bricket gets moist I put it in the oven and bake at low heat, but not to hot or to long or you'l end up with an ash.

Comment

After I tumble and partially process the brass, I place it in Tupperware or similar containers with an index card that tells me what stage of development the brass is in, how many times it's been reloaded, etc. If moisture is an issue, I use a small dessicant packet. When the process is complete, I place the cartridges in boxes of 100 and store those in larger ammo boxes kept in a pantry or closet, avoiding variations in temperature that will permit moisture to condense. I live near Portland (OR), and it seems to suffice. I've packed some of this ammunition away for more than a year without discoloration. I don't leave any ammunition in leather belt loops or ammo pouches.

Comment

I wear rubber gloves when reloading to keep oil and sweat from the brass from the tumbler onward. That and humidity are your enemies. For humidity, I have a bunch of .50 cal. ammo cans and re-treatable desiccant bags. Brass in various stages is in the cans.

Comment

Thanks guys... for me it is war on humidity. I'll even go with Jeff's recommendation of gloves to avoid the prints. I think that since I live in Georgia, I get way too much humidity for them... I appreciate everyone's advice.

Comment

I lived in Georgia 18 years, too. I had extra incentive for any gun handling I've done my adult life. I have high body acid, listed like a "nickel allergy". I can rot cheap metal and tarnish everything else. The gloves were so I didn't get orange paw prints on my brass.

Comment

Agreed with Jeff4066 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad