Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have a Winchester model 100 and i was wondering if i should still hunt with it or keep it as an antique... It is a pre 84 mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have a Winchester model 100 and i was wondering if i should still hunt with it or keep it as an antique... It is a pre 84 mod

i have a Winchester model 100 and i was wondering if i should still hunt with it or keep it as an antique... It is a pre 84 model and only shot en once

Please don't take my word for this, instead check it out with a reliable source, but if memory serves, I think Winchester had some sort of problem with 100's at one time and was looking at recalls, etc. but again, verify, don't take my word for it. Past that, I'd mothball it given the state of Winchester today.

Comment

It depends on how old it is, i have a model 100 that is probably about 44 years old and we still use it every year for dear, it is actually one of my favorite guns and i dont really even think of it as an antique

Comment

The problem was a weak firing pin or spring, and as far as shooting it it would be safe and as long as you don't abuse it you won't hurt the collectors value much. A lot of those guns are still out there, I see those and the 88s pretty often at gunshows. If you still have the box and all then that will add to the value also. Bottom line is use it don't abuse it and memories will be just as valued as dollars.

Comment

Winchester had a firing pin recall in July-1990. If you Google it, you should find info on it. It caused repetitive fire and can be dangerous. With the limited use yours has had, you should be able to enjoy many years of hunting. Because of the large number of these out there and the issues they have had, I doubt that they will make you wealthy in antique value until about 3050 or so.

Comment

i was wrong it is the pre - 64 model if that changes anything

Comment

i was wrong it is the pre - 64 model if that changes anything

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad