Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any insight concerning the recent ammunition shortage? I have read about several reasons, but none from what I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any insight concerning the recent ammunition shortage? I have read about several reasons, but none from what I

Does anyone have any insight concerning the recent ammunition shortage? I have read about several reasons, but none from what I would consider a reliable source. One of the local firearms dealers in my town was frustrated because people are asking for ammo and he is having difficulty obtaining it from his suppliers.

In my opinion it is working about the same way as our recent fuel shortages. Panic and parannoia cause folks to run down to the station to fill up, with increased demand comes increased price and short supply, so-on and so-forth. A Liberal Democrat was elected so everyone is afraid that ammo, handguns and the like are soon going to be hard to obtain. I don't know what I think. I don't feel a need to stockpile ammunition but it is also kinda like toilet paper, it don't spoil and you will eventually use it so why not buy it by the case. We'll see what happens. I may regret not buying a case or three myself.

Comment

There is no doubt that the shortage is panic (paranoia) based. Dan gave an excellent analogy above in comparing the shortage to the recent fuel crisis. Demand is high and production can't keep up with it. Everyone wants every kind of ammo and component for reloading. There is fear of restrictions and the ammo taxes mentioned by the candidates during the campaign season. Only time will tell what the out come will be.

Comment

I've heard primers are scarce. Some were imported from foreign countries but are presently sitting with Customs.

Comment

A Hornady rep told my local gun guy that they had ramped up production in expectation of the run on ammo because of the Nov Election and the volume of sales basically exceeded what they thought was possible. So now they and all ammo manufacturers are playing catch up.

Comment

I’ve contacted both Federal Cartridge Company and my Congressman, DanInArkinsaw said it best “In my opinion it is working about the same way as our recent fuel shortages. Panic and paranoia cause folks to run down to the station to fill up, with increased demand comes increased price and short supply, so-on and so-forth”.

U.S. Congressman John Boozman said there is nothing on the floor at this time.

The real truth at this time is what DanInArkinsaw said. “Panic and paranoia”!
            I’m finding ammo in the Stores other than Wal-Mart, just got to get out and look!

Comment

I talked to the local ATF agent yesterday (and no I'm not going to jail) she said that it was just paranoia brought on by the internet and the ammo makers not being able to keep up. We are creating our own shortage here trying to shore up against an unknown future. It's a great sellers marktet right now, I have ARs that have been on order for 5 months, it sucks.

Comment

The ammo manufacturers also don't want to be stuck when the bubble pops. I would bet that sometime in the future we'll see shelves flooded with ammo at discount prices. They don't really want this to happen but if they ramp up production significantly eventually we'll get back to normal and they'll have tons and tons of ammo to either sell at a slight discount or pay to store.

Comment

The local Scheel's store limits 2 boxes of ANY Caliber bullets per customer per DAY! PMC has increased the price of 1 box of 55 Grain FMJ to $10.00/box, versus $9.00/box 2 weeks ago...

Comment

Several of my firearms are chambered for popular cartridges (.45ACP, .38 Special, 9mm Parabullum, etc.) for which components have normally been readily available. Locally (Portland, OR), there are depleted supplies of these centerfire cartridge components and my personal inventory is dwindling, so I'll order some of it by internet from Midway, Starline and others.
                    I thought the price of the components was exhorbitant, and considered purchasing loaded ammunition until I saw the alarmingly expensive price of a box of .45 Hardball. Sorry to see this. I guess it's been a while since I purchased loaded ammunition.
                    I do visit other sources, and I purchase whatever becomes available. One shop gets its shipments on Thursday and Friday, so I arrived on Saturday morning to see surprisingly bare shelves. The salesman commented, "Yes, the shipments arrived, but they already sold out. You would have to have been here yesterday." For what? To unload the truck?
                    Retailers are struggling to meet their overhead and another popular chain of outdoor sports equipment is closing its doors, going out of business after 40+ years. Other retailers who depend on "discretionary income" are facing the same choices - to attempt to weather the storm or close their doors. When the resources are available, we purchase what we want. When the situation is difficult and resources are slim, we purchase what we need, redefine what we want, and tighten our belts. We live in interesting times. Let us hope this storm passes quickly.

Comment

I have a roughly 10 year cycle in most of my ammo, and hadn't really thought about it at all. Haven't bought anything for eight years except... ummmm... some Remington .30-06.

Until a few weeks ago, where I stopped at my local shop to get some .38, which I haven't much of. I got the last box they had, and was told to just keep checking back. He said; "I just can't keep it on the shelf.".

Comment

Well I knew there was a run on fireatms because the local gun guy said forgedaboudit on AR type rifles. The ammo shortage sort of snuck up on me.
                        It seems like it is always something. First it was the Iraq war supposedly making it harder to get .223 and 9mm. Then the price of lead and copper went ballistic and ammo got real expensive. Now it's fear of the new administration (which I can somewhat understand). Can't we shooter ever get a break?

Comment

I've heard my dad say that it is happening because of Obama and his goonies in D.C. They are stocking up because Obama wants to tax ammo and gun sales ridiculously so that people won't be able to hunt because it is against the constitution to ban guns so he is just going to make it very hard for them to be maintained and used. I have also heard my dad say that one of our family's friend's hunting buddy has one of his basement walls stacked full of ammo .

Comment

well people are hoarding: don't blame them.

Comment

daninarkansaw said it best...the shortage is from unfounded fears

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad