Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to store ammo for long periods of time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with idahooutdoors answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    I keep mine in the cabelas dry boxes with the small "soap bar" dessicant units inside.

Leave a comment:

• daleraby
    replied
    "Best" way would be to store as separate items, i.e.: primers, powder, projectiles, and cases. In the dark, cool conditions, away from light, moisture, and idiots. When needed, it can be assembled in a reloading press and fired... and if the powder or primers did not survive a thousand years, you can either buy some or make some.

This may not be practical and the other answers are all good ones for less than archival storage.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Cool, Dry, and Dark. I have shot military ammo from the 60s and 70s it works. If you have to store it in something besides military ammo containers then PVC pipe works even better. Most Ammo will work well for 30-40 years if stored well, without dampness and temp controlled.

Leave a comment:

• renegades
    replied
    In a safe place.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    No joke. This was actually in F&S a while back.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    shane

NO JOKE?

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Someone found some old rifle ammo in a shipwreck that had been on the bottom for 50 years or so. It all fired perfectly. This is not recommended, though.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I think Clay has the right idea regarding military metal ammo boxes. However, Cabela's has bright red, steel powder magazine boxes with two locks that meet insurance codes and most city regulations, but they are quite expensive. They will certainly keep curious children at bay.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Military metal ammo boxes work the best for storage

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    BY"GOLLY idahooutdoors and rezavoirdog got it.

May I had, make sure there are located away from possble water leaks etc

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    Dry Boxes-in a cool, dry, dark basement.

Leave a comment:

• idahooutdoors
    replied
    Cool, dry, and dark.

Leave a comment:

• What is the best way to store ammo for long periods of time?

What is the best way to store ammo for long periods of time?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad