Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you predict will be the next fad in rifle cartridges? We have done long and skinny, short and fat and long and fat. Elec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    I thought I posted on this before, but maybe it got lost when the site transitioned multiple times.

I think the next truly new frontier in Ammo will be a result of whatever the Military picks for the Next Gen SAW. I truly truly believe that whatever innovations come out of those 3 platforms will make their way to the civilian market in part thanks to economies of scale, and in part to sunk cost as those that weren't chosen want to try to reclaim some of their losses.

I think within a few years, we're going to have another (3) 6.8mm rounds and new chamber designs to fire them.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I just posted, 6mmARC, accurate in a AR platform to 1,000yds.

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    It turned out to be the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Its taken five hundred years of development for the cartridge as we know it to get this far. I think things will stay the same for awhile. It's people and their needs that will have to change first.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I suspect that the next interesting development may be an advance in bullet technology or metallurgy...or possibly a caseless cartridge that provides consistent burning rates and is applicable to sporting cartridges. We've seen a broad spectrum of burning rates in powders, and there seems to be a cartridge (or two or three) to cover every game or target application, but a development in propellant could make a difference and open new possibilities. We're not at the pinnacle of ballistic development or cartridge innovation; we're much further along than we were 50-100 years ago, but we've much more to explore...filament-wound barrels that are reinforced or strengthened by aramid fibers, barrels that weigh less but provide the rigidity, cross-section and benefit of heavy, varmint-weight barrels. We really do have quite a lot to look forward to, gentlemen.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Excellent question. I have often pondered if a synthetic or spaceage plastic cartridge case will appear one day. Of course these rounds most likely would not be reloadable and by that fact alone ammo supply could be monitored by the powers that be if they were so inclined. Even thought I have a super duper wonder mag or two I still use my older .270 or 7-08 rifles as well since I tend to fall in the very conservative group for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Oh god, just what we need... tracer rounds... With the mentality of the TV hunt show crowd I bet it happens.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I think with everyone filming hunts now that tracer bullets may become popular.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Idaho! Yes! I'm hoping this will be the case. The majority of my guns are 40-50, if not way more years old. They all work really great. In fact, the one that game fears the most was designed in 1899 and made before WWII! The old stuff works great, and there isn't much new that beats it.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I think handloading will gain popularity once the components become widely available again, for fear of not being able to get ammo. Rightfully so.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    The Classics never go out of style, and in times like these, as Idaho states, will reclaim marketshare lost to newfangled, expensive, flash in the pan gimmicks like Really really short fat magnumns.

Leave a comment:

• idahooutdoors
    replied
    I think with the downturn in the economy we may see a return to the old economical standbys. A lot cheaper to hunt elk with the old 30-06 than a new wonder mag. Even for re-loaders, smaller cartridges hold less powder, and therefore are cheaper to shoot. Hunters may have to buck up and get a little closer to their quarry...but that is part of hunting.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    I am keeping it a secret until I can patent it. Just kidding, sort of ... I do have a couple of ideas.

Perhaps more along the lines of the .375 Ruger and .338 Federal that seem to offer balanced performance in unbelted cases. Perhaps expanding the use of proprietary powders to provide improved performance in current cartridges - whatever "improved" means - more velocity, less erosion, etc. - especially with the typically longer unleaded bullets.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    We gun nuts are for the most part a conservative lot. Note all the negative comments on the new Vinci. The old stuff never goes out of style. Just read the recent thread on bringing back the double auto. The subject quickly morphed into talk about old Brownings and Winchesters. In-line muzzleloaders are finicky and just not that much fun. Give me my hand made Flintlock Longrifle. I could tinker and shoot the thing all day with a pound or two of lead and some Goex 3F without getting bored. Count me with the old fogies that like old stuff.

Leave a comment:

• KingFisher907
    replied
    "smart" bullets

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/SmartBullets.asp

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to New 4 X 16 - 44mm
    by jhjimbo
    Almost no bears in Ohio and if there was one it would be a young male pushed out of PA or WVA to make a new territory....
    Today, 11:05 AM
  • New 4 X 16 - 44mm
    by jhjimbo
    Just got my new scope from Acme Machine. the scope (China) is private labeled for Acme. First focal plan, red/green illuminated, Limited lifetime warranty....
    Yesterday, 04:28 PM
  • Reply to Real Quiet
    by 99explorer
    Here is another.
    A poor man standing on the roof can see further than a rich man standing in the basement.
    Today, 10:51 AM
  • Real Quiet
    by jhjimbo
    Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
    09-17-2021, 12:23 AM
  • Reply to Real Quiet
    by 99explorer
    Post #4 is also on topic, but is hardly a original thought..
    Today, 10:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X