Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i just bought a pretty new ruger blackhawk 44 mag and a dan wesson 44 mag- plus some 44 shells from a gun show--- when put in th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i just bought a pretty new ruger blackhawk 44 mag and a dan wesson 44 mag- plus some 44 shells from a gun show--- when put in th

i just bought a pretty new ruger blackhawk 44 mag and a dan wesson 44 mag- plus some 44 shells from a gun show--- when put in the guns, the cylinder doesent want to spin like as if the backs of the shells are rubbing the back of the gun. what can i do, i think the shells caused this problem, even though they were in a new box, and i bought both the guns from different owners... any idea whats going on?and how to fix it?

How did you get these guns, your only 18. You might be getting this gun dealer who sold these guns in some crap. You meant, your Dad bought these guns and when you went to shoot it, you noticed this problem... right?

Comment

Are the bullets sticking out the front of the cylinder?

Comment

wallofsam, my dad wrote this question last night as we were going over some answers of previous asked questions. youre a good observer, i probably wouldnt have noticed that. and MLH no we checked that, think it could just be a defected box?

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the Blackhawk Mag 44 going for at the gun show?

Comment

Might be reloads with primers not fully seated, are the primers flush with the base of each cartridge? Is each chamber in the cylinder sparkling clean or is there any build up like can occur when shooting lots of specials in a magnum length cylinder which is not properly cleaned. Is there any play in the cylinder without touching the hammer or trigger? Also unload the revolver, pull back the hammer, check for excessive cylinder movement, let hammer down while holding trigger back and recheck for unnecessary movement. If you encounter a loose cylinder a gunsmith needs to fix the problem as it could entail a several things amiss.

Comment

Are you trying to put .44 mag cartridges into a .44 special?

Comment

ish offered some good advice. Also this gun may have had alot of cast (lead) loads shot in it and the cylinder walls may be leaded and need a good cleaning. Since you have the guns, spring for another 20 bucks and have a competent gunsmith look at it.

Comment

he paid 510 for the new model super blackhawk. which is a pretty good deal for as nice as it is and cause its the hunter edition. i took it to a gunsmith today and he has to file down the the lower part of the gate a tiny tiny bit because the shells would rub that too much than they are supposed to and completely stop the cylinder from spinning ...he said it prolly came from the factory that way and thats why the last owner sold it. figured i let u guys know the problem incase this happens to you. the wessons firing pin chamber stuck out a 500's of an inch more than it was supposed to he said it was from the previous owner dryfiring it too much. weird coincidence that both guns had similar problems, well they are bothgood to go now thanks for the replys.

Comment

Great answer ishawooa and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad