Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I heard that if you load hollow point bullets in your home defense weapon, and if you shoot and kill an intruder, that you can g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard that if you load hollow point bullets in your home defense weapon, and if you shoot and kill an intruder, that you can g

I heard that if you load hollow point bullets in your home defense weapon, and if you shoot and kill an intruder, that you can go to jail for murder because the hollow points are more lethal. is this true?

I have heard you should not use handloads in your personal defense weapon, beacause you could cook up a load that is more devastating than factory ammo. It could be seen as cruel and unusual punishment if you shot someone that broke into your house and tried to kill you. The way I look at it you can't go wrong by practicing with your handloads and then at night have you magazine ready with hydrashoks, glaser rounds, or some hornady FTX.

Comment

If you are legally justified in shooting to kill, the law doesn't care if you use a .22 or a howitzer. Dead bad guy is dead bad guy.

Comment

Figure that if you shoot or kill an intruder you will end up in court and you will likely get sued. A lawyer will try to introduce anything he can to win the case (notice I said win and not prove truth). A lawyer told me NEVER to use handloads in a self-defense handgun.

A FMJ is more likely to go through a person and possibly injure someone else. And it may not stop the intruder. Hollow point pistols are meant to deposit their energy and not exit, and are less likely to injure someone else. I've seen studies where the hollow point have filled with plaster when going through a wall and have not expanded - same with some clothing. But I'd take my chance with the hollow points. It's about practical self defense and protecting yourself and the ones you love.

Comment

screw the law when someone breaks into your house with a gun, i say attempt to demobilize or scare them first if you have a good shot and are concealed, but otherwise take them out. Hey, i use to sleep with a rubber band gun near by ofter the neighbors house got broken into so i could at least knock the guy out, because it was made of a piece that was a strong as a 2 by 4.

Comment

Lets first pray that NONE of us will ever need to take a life, but if it were necessary to stop an intruder from hurting you, or a family member, and you do shoot someone there is a chance of being held liable; either in criminal or civil court. I would recomend having "layered" security in your home. Better doors, windows, lights and an alarm system to include a dog! The average break-in crook will be scared away, as for true killers/dope heads that's another story. My defense weapons has "bullets" in them, regardless of type, can kill. My Prof at college, a seasoned officer gone lawyer, recommended to shoot them with whatever you have for defense and when the police arrive ask them you would like to call your lawyer BEFORE answering any questions!

Comment

MLH, it is true they stop expanding when hp gets filled with something. When I first got my .40 I couldn't wait to shoot it so I set some cans filled with water or gravel out into a farm field. The ground was wet and muddy. I dug the bullets out after firing and those that missed the cans had their nose filled with black stick and hadn't really expanded.

Comment

My .40 is loaded with hollow-points. I'll take my chances

Comment

I'm with steve182, my .40 is loaded with hps as well. If the intruder does die then I will take my day in court, but I'll be damned if he/she is going to harm my family.

Comment

WRONG WRONG WRONG. First of all THE INTRUDER is the one breaking the law. YOU are the one DEFENDING yourself and others. Most people will find it a justifiable shoot and not even bother with an autopsy but if the do there is a dead body filled with whatever you shoot him with and thats that. If you cut the guy in half then so be it. Dead men tell no tales! You probably will be sued in civil court which is for money not jail time. Just be propared, you'll loose a couple of grand defending youself but that's the way the system works, unless its just a crack head with no money then you will be alright.

It sucks either way and I'm sorry, but the only people that really get sued are city or state officers that roll thier own. And that is only because it is worth a LOT of money to sue the state.

Comment

While we are on the subject of getting sued by a wounded bad guy it would be a good time to bring up some redneck logic of my very own. If the situation is ever to arise where you need to shoot, double tap...then drop a couple more rounds for good measure. When there is only one version to the story, there is much less wiggle room. If somebody needs shot they need shot a bunch. Just a thought.

Comment

streack has a valid and true point! Never use reloads even if they are reduced loads to prevent less damage. Always use factory ammo and make sure your NRA Membership is up to date!!! I always told my students that if you clear leather, it will cost you $10,000 dollars regardless!!!!!

To answer your question, I went thru training for 2nd Man qualification for Law Enforcement. I carry pending on the environment and threat condition, 230 grain Black Talons, Federal Hydro Shocks or 230 grain Military Ball in my 45ACP, never carry reloads except for hunting and for plinking period!!!!!!!

Comment

Bottom line

If they are “FACTORY AMMO” ?

NO!

Comment

I say no as well for an answer. You have the right to protect yourself and your property. Just use factory ammo it sounds like. Didn't know that myself.

Comment

yes that is true

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X