Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a speed-loader for their revolver? I'm thinking about one as a gift for the owner of a Charter Arms .357

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a speed-loader for their revolver? I'm thinking about one as a gift for the owner of a Charter Arms .357

Anyone use a speed-loader for their revolver? I'm thinking about one as a gift for the owner of a Charter Arms .357

no i do not, but it sounds like it would help alot

Comment

I slip a HKS speed loader into my jacket pocket every time I holster one of my revolvers. You should practice, practice, practice your reloading techniques. Best way to load a S&W wheelgun is to place the trigger guard in the left palm with your right hand gripping the hand grip simultaneously releasing the slide catch with the right thumb and rolling out the cylinder with the fingers of the left hand and pushing the ejector rod with the left thumb and allowing the brass to fall to the ground. At this point you have a firm grip on the frame keeping the cylinder rolled out and steady with the fingers of the left hand preventing it from rotating while you plug in the speedloader you retrieved with your right hand as soon as you released the cylinger catch. Drop the empty speedloader as soon as the cartridges are released and regrip with the right hand simultaneously closing the cylinder with the left thumb. Never catch brass as you eject it or try to stow an empty speedloader. Wasted time - get back on target! You can police that stuff up after the shooting stops.

Comment

WAM's "use of speed loader" description is very good -- works for Colt revolvers too!

I keep a revolver in my vehicle and have both a regular speed loader and the Bianchi strip speed loader. Compared to a regular spead loader the Bianchi is worthless for "speed". But it does have value in that you can keep six bullets handy and in order and flat in your pocket rather than the bulky cylinder type. One could easily carry 4 of the strip type, where four of the cylinder type would be impossible to conceal in pants or shirt and a hassle in a regular jacket. With practice you can load two cartridges at a time with the strip type.

The following video shows just how fast a speed loader can be!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpCellB_UQ

Comment

i think the only reason i would do that is if i got into competing. no danger of that happening.

Comment

My Charter Arms Bulldog is always accompanied by an HKS speedloader. Well put, WAM.

Comment

Carney is right. It is harder to conceal a bulky speedloader, but I carry my Model 19 or Model 28 in a high rise holster under a Filson Cruiser or sport coat, both of which have a handy pocket. When I carry I am not really all that concerned about how concealed it is. Just not flaunting. With that Charter Bulldog, you won't need a reload unless there are four or more perps....

Comment

Hope it's never needed, but 5 rounds of 200 grain HP's ride there.

Comment

I think the most practical application of speedloaders for civilians is to rapidly load an empty revolver that is stored separately from the ammo for child safety reasons.
                  I have an ongoing bet with a friend that we will never see a story in "The Armed Citizen" section of The American Rifleman magazine in which the armed citizen has ever had to reload.
                  I may eventually lose the bet, but it has been running for many years now, and at most, only two or three shots have been fired in any incident.
                  Check out some back issues and tell me if I am wrong.

Comment

I swear by them. They make a reload for a revolver just as fast as with a fresh magazine into an auto.

Comment

I'm with 99 a hundred percent. I have two boys when they were young they were the only ones able to open child proof locks in my house and at the age of three they could "Houdini" any car seat. I used the Barney Fife method in my house for quite a while

Comment

Carry at least 1 speed loader if you can. I have a 5 shot S&W 637 Lightweight 38+P 5 shot and a speed loader is a plus. I carry at least 1 another in my vehicles. Practice, Practice and Practice with them because they are a little touchy to get used to. I started carrying a S&W Model 19 .357 with 2 speedloaders on duty over 40 years ago and we used to train until our fingers got sore using our speed loaders. I think that I can load my revolver as fast as I can my .45.

Comment

99E

If someone ever breaks into my house while I'm there, you will find your reload story....

Comment

WAM-
                            The closest we have come thus far was a shooting in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida where a retired airline pilot was present in a diner when two robbbers entered and herded the pilot and a few other customers into a back room.
                            One of the robbers remained in the front part of the diner while the one in the back room was being shot with about six rounds from the pilot's Colt Commander, killing him instantly. When the robber in the front came back to see what was happening, the pilot shot him with the last round in the pistol. Wounded, the robber staggered out on the street and collapsed.
                            The pilot was unable to find his spare magazine, but as it turned out, it was unnecessary. Whew!

Comment

Carl,
                              What is the Barney Fife method? I don't think I've heard of that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad