Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your preferred bullets for deer? (Ballistic Tip, TSX, Accubond, etc.) Any bullets you won't use for deer? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I might have to take 'em and blow up some woodchucks with 'em. How much ya want? Can you mail ammo?

Comment

Ballistic work great for slower flying cartridges (below 2700 feet per second). However, they all work great for deer.

Comment

Howdy MLH, I'm lucky enough to have a deer rifle that shoots everything really well, so I typically use the cheap stuff from Winchester. My daughter's .243 likes Remington's, in 100gr. and I saw it take down 3 deer very effectively this year. In my .270 I use 150gr. Winchester's, and my old Model 70 shoots 100' groups you can cover w/a quarter w/ these $14 a box babys. Good enough for me, and the deer die just as dead as if they were shot by $30 a box ammo.

Comment

Deer fall to almost anything with decent penetration. All the premium bullets are great. However, I have shot inexpensive Hornady spire point bullets into deer my whole life. I have only recovered one bullet because all others have exited (it was a Texas heart shot that penetrated from rear end, through pelvis, clipped three ribs on left, three ribs on right and blew up the heart and stuck in the hide on the brisket). All others exited. No need to spend big dollars on deer. I sent my brothers TSX's for Christmas but that was because I wanted to get them a premium bullet even though it wasn't necessary.

Comment

I use Federal Fusion 150's in my 270. They work awsome.

I get very tight groups and the deer hardly move after being hit.

Sorry to hear that you haven't had good results Jim!

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I use Hornady SST's or Interlocks. I have some Scirocco's loaded for my .280 this year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do They
                  by FirstBubba
                  I've got probably 40 on my list and had 400+ posts this morning and still lots of "spam" threads.

They change their "handle"...
                  Today, 01:23 PM
                • How Do They
                  by jhjimbo
                  How do the spammers enter spam so fast - today, at 3AM they entered every minute of the SAME thing. I tried to counter this AM and the site would not...
                  Today, 09:31 AM
                • 2020 A good year for dying.
                  by rock rat

This graph shows all deaths from respiratory deaths by month. 400,000 more than normal all told. "external deaths" also up. External...
                  Today, 01:23 PM
                • Reply to Presidential Debate
                  by crm3006
                  Just a heads up, bandicoot. creepy joe's handlers are well capable of canceling the debate on the day it is scheduled. Nothing is too lowlife for dem...
                  Today, 01:10 PM
                • Presidential Debate
                  by jhjimbo
                  Mark your calendar, Tuesday, 29th from The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio. Sleepy Joe and Donald Trump. Get your popcorn ready for the show.
                  09-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X