Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about buying a handgun for deer hunting. Anyone have any suggestions for good gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking about buying a handgun for deer hunting. Anyone have any suggestions for good gun?

I'm thinking about buying a handgun for deer hunting. Anyone have any suggestions for good gun?

I have always wanted to take a deer with a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum. Its got plenty of power and is super reliable.

Comment

I purchased a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Super Redhawk and put a 2X Leupold on it just for deer hunting. I chose .44 mag. because recoil might become an issue with the larger calibers in later life. I shoot a 240 gr. Hornady. The gun (and I) shoot well enough to kill a deer at 75 yds. but you must practice which is half the fun of owning such a rig.

Comment

I have a Ruger Suber Blackhawk in .44 mag with an 8" barrel. I have killed deer out to 60 yards with it but can hit a milk jug at 100 yards once I figured out the gun. If I were going to get something else I'd probably get a Super Redhawk b/c it is better tricked out from the box and double action.

Comment

Take from this Ol"Sandbagger

dallshp and Sharkfin is right, Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag is the way to go! 250 grain Keith Style .430 diameter Cast Bullet with 21 grains of Hercules 2400 and a Federal Large Pistol Magnum Primer and your set!

I own two Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag the OLD Model 35 years old now with a ton of rounds shot thru both and still going strong and the 2nd Generation Ruger I call it where you can carry with six rounds instead of 5 like my old model.

While in Alaska, I would set Clay’s on the 100 yard line on snow covered backstop and bustem and when I get a little competition from someone I’ll set them out on the 200 yard line with no rest, double handed hold. Other shooters with different makes, models and calibers had great difficulty of doing the same. Really neat to see the orange explode against the white snow! While in New Mexico, I’m known to bust Jacks out at 200 and some change with it. In Alaska, I used it for grouse hunting shooting their heads off. Stupid birds you can ride your ATV or walk within 10 feet or less of them and my Ruger Mark II 22 worked best!

I’ve been shooting the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mags for 36 years now and for deer, I believe you cannot get any better than the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Ya’sure you can get you a bigger stick, but the recoil will be something to deal with!

Remember one thing, a handgun is no place for bear protection when can use a rifle!

BEEN DAR , SEEN DAT AND DUN DAT!

Comment

Don't have much experience as a pistolero, but both mule deer bucks I killed with one shot each using my Thompson Center single shot with 30 Waters. Scope kept moving so used a spot of Super Glue. That fixed it.

Comment

If you can swing the cash, you can't beat the Freedom Arms 83. Nice size, weight, strength, accuracy, and extraordinary quality.

Spent a lot of money on a Ruger Super Redhawk trying to get it to shoot and eventually gave up and sold it. Just an unlucky draw because my other Rugers were excellent guns. The Super Redhawk is a large revolver. Double action, but hunting shots can usually be taken single action.

The Ruger Redhawk and Super Blackhawk are also appropriate, depending on whether you want single or double action. I like the Super Blawkhawk.

My FA and SRH were .454 Casulls. Lots of recoil and muzzle blast so second shots were not quick. I enjoyed shooting the round (insanity?), but it is not necessary. If I didn't handload I would go with .44 Mag. .41 Remington Mag is also an option but I've never used it. Magnum pistol rounds are not cheap. .45 Colt is a handload option unless you want to pay a lot for hunting ammo. Big flat nose rounds might also be too long for some chambers.

I prefer at least a 4-3/4" barrel. Some people like a longer barrel for increased sight radius.

Comment

These guys have pretty well summed it up. I would add that I consider S & W's to be tolerant of medium loads for the most part. You can shoot hot loads in them but expect the revolvers not to last as long between overhauls like a Super Blackhawk. In reality most folks probably don't shoot enough maxed out loads for this to even be a concern. I understand that some of the newer S & W's handle hot ammo better than do my old M-29 and others. Freedom Arms revolvers of any model are strong, accurate, expensive, and heavy but they will probably live longer than you.

Comment

I shoot a smith and wesson 629 with the 8 and 3/8 inch barrel in a .44 mag. I have a 2x bushnell scope. I have shot a few deer with it and have had good results. this combination works for me.

I don't care to shoot it. the recoil is above my threshold and if you have to shoot without ear protection you will be hearing bells for 2 days.

Comment

Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum is great.

Comment

I myself woudnt even hunt with a hand gun. I would use a rifle or shot gun. but I dont think Ebay sells guns.

Comment

I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag with a burris 3x9 scope and it is great. It's a nail driver at 50 yards and the best I've done on a rest at 100 is about a 4 in group. Make sure you get a scope where you can lock the crosshair, the recoil on mine nocked the hair around till I got the burris.

Comment

Hard to beat the old Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. For a pure hunting handgun the 7.5 inch barrel is great. If it is a dual purpose carry/hunting gun get a shorter barrel.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to check out that blackhawk.

Comment

tc in 308

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad