Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's one for fun. We know what the army chose but if you had been living in the late 1870's recognizing the pros and cons of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one for fun. We know what the army chose but if you had been living in the late 1870's recognizing the pros and cons of

Here's one for fun. We know what the army chose but if you had been living in the late 1870's recognizing the pros and cons of each weapon would your carry gun have been a Schofield (or Russian) or a Peacemaker?

Definately a Schofield. Quicker to reload, little heavier than the Colt, but the advantage would be in the quick reload time, which the Colt SAA has a definate disadvantage. Of course I would back that up with the venerable Winchester '73, the fastest handling lever rifle of the day, and the Winchester 1887 Lever Action Shotgun.

Funny part of history, Custer was known for winning battles in the Civil War by using Henry Rifles, capable of rapid firing over muskets, yet led the 7th at Little Big Horn armed with 1873 Trapdoor single shots while the Indians used Winchesters and Henry Rifles. makes you wonder who would have won if both sides had repeaters?

Comment

peacemaker is a great gun and you can't go wron with a great gun

Comment

Peacemaker.

Comment

Peacemaker.

Comment

Sportsman Matt you are correct concerning the Battle at the Little Bighorn. Additionally it appears that some of Georgie's unfortunate troopers were plagued with either poorly loaded .45-70's or bad brass as several of the dead were observed to have pocket knives in their hands or nearby in an effort to extract the empties from the Springfield chambers. There had been no reports of the rifles exhibiting this tendency to any significant degree from Fort Keogh or Fort Lincoln most likely utilizing other lots of ammo. Insofar as the Native Americans they happened to be camping in what might have been one of the largest gatherings of those folk at one of their favorite areas. Sooo...when the 7th showed up to whip their butts they simply grabbed the assault rifles of the day and went to work with remarkable results. George had screwed up numerous times previously for about 15 years but political influence or money always swung the situation back into his favor eventually. The Native Americans had no interest in or had seen enough of Washington politics after all it was their homes that were being invaded.

Comment

Peacemaker

Comment

Peacemaker, anyways, with a name like that how can you go wrong.

Comment

I've heard those Trapdoors were notorious for stuck cases but I'm sure no historian on those matters.

Comment

Peace maker, on the custer comment(notice custer is not capitalized)Maybe it was just KARMA the Springfield is a great weapon and as such should have performed, but in that case it didn't......Karma

Comment

Battlefield detectives on the History Channel have brought to light the fact that the cases were made of substandard brass and wouldn't extract; hence the use of knives to attempt to clear the chambers.

Back to the original question, Schofield would be the better choice for reloading speed.

Comment

peace maker. you cant go wrong with a gun like that and the name just spells it all out.

Comment

Peacemaker!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                            by 99explorer
                            The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                            They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                            Who'd have thunk it?
                            Today, 10:38 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by 99explorer
                            I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                            Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                            Today, 10:19 PM
                          • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by FirstBubba
                            "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                            Today, 10:15 PM
                          • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by derek7
                            Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                            08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X