Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you call it a .45Colt or a .45 Long Colt, and why? I really want to know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you call it a .45Colt or a .45 Long Colt, and why? I really want to know.

Do you call it a .45Colt or a .45 Long Colt, and why? I really want to know.

Both is correct and understood. The 45 ACP may have muddied the issue since it's shorter.
    There are also issues of rifle calibers, 45-70,45-90 etc.
    Colt made a cartridge for a pistol, that's about it as I see it.

Comment

i call it 45 long colt, because the first box of ammo i picked up said long colt.

Comment

I know officially it is the .45 Colt but often encounter people who are confused so I refer to it as the .45 Long Colt if I believe they will more clearly understand the specific cartridge I am talking about.

Comment

Long Colt for all the above reasons. People that are not familiar with revolvers will think you are talking about the ACP because it is newer and more popular.

Comment

I have always heard it called a .45 long colt and the 1911 called a .45 colt. it kinda clears confusion i guess.

Comment

I call it 45 Long Colt because more people will associate with that name.

Comment

I call it 45 long colt for the new 45 lc, but I have shot the shorter 45 Colt, using cut down 45 LC cases. As for the 45 ACP, I refer to that as the 45 Auto.

Comment

According to the 7th Edition Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading

“Like many of its outlaw contemporaries the 45 Colt is known by at least one alias, the best known being the “45 Long Colt”. This is the improper name for the cartridge and was never used as a legitimate descriptor for the cartridge. It was likely coined to differentiate the 45 Colt from the younger, shorter, 45 S&W Schofield which could be used in guns chambered for the 45 Colt but not vice-versa. Like many legends from the old west one can only speculate where the “45 Long Colt” moniker originated.”

Still not a definite answer but is in line with the previous comments, makes sense and sure sounds good!

Comment

.45 Long Colt!

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad