Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever been "lost" or turned around in the woods? If so, for how long, and what survival techniques and skills did you us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been "lost" or turned around in the woods? If so, for how long, and what survival techniques and skills did you us

Have you ever been "lost" or turned around in the woods? If so, for how long, and what survival techniques and skills did you use to become "found" again?

I havn't. And I don't want to but if I do I have items that prepare me.

Comment

Not yet, but I'm still trying.

Comment

"I have never been lost, but was Powerfull confused for a couple months once." Best bet for surviving getting lost, is don't get lost in the first place.

Comment

I got turned around in the swamp once, it was dark and i had been trailing a wounded deer, I looked up to realize things looked very different, I will confess i began to panic a little bit. I was on land I knew well but in that moment of everything looking different i freaked out a little bit. Best thing i did was to force myself to stop, calm down and figure out where i was, once i knew where i was it was a simple matter to get out, but i will never forget that instant of panic when i looked around and the world looked very different.

Comment

Good grief dar Charlie Brown, depends what part of the country you in? At 5pm I had a fog bank in New Mexico roll in at 7500ft altitude with absolute zero viz and I knew if I walked west, there was over a 1000ft drop or better. I knew camp was to the east and would be upstream, and decided to drop down off the ridge. If I dropped off the wrong side I would have to turn right, I knew I would have a lot longer walk back just hit the fence line a mile up turn right and mile back to camp, but I lucked out when I dropped into the canyon bottom and headed left up stream and back in 45 minutes in time for dinner!

Knowing the terrain is half the battle!

Comment

A Swamp on a cloudy day is a tough place but it can be navigated. My wife would say he easily gets lost in a city but never in the woods. I just always pay attention to the wind, Sun, shadows, terrain features and every now and then turn and look where you came from. The way back always looks different.

Comment

THINK

iFINDER® Hunt™ C Handheld GPS

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoors/iFINDER-Hunt-C/

Comment

Thank goodness it was only for a few hours, and we were able to get back ourselves.

Comment

I got lost mushroom hunting with a friend one time when I was 14 on some new property. Got caught look at the ground so much for Murrells didn't pay attention to the surrounding terrain. Wasn't in any really danger, heard some traffic near by and made it to a road although I want to say I noticed the moss growing on a tree and tasted the dirt.

Comment

my compass and a dam good prayer!

Comment

I've never gotten lost, I've been off course a few feet in the woods, but never lost. I think that in order to get lost you have to stop thinking all together.

Comment

I have never been lost so far and I pretty much know where to go because I have a compass or GPS with me!!!

Comment

I got lost on a WMA in the north east GA mountains while trying to drag the biggest dear i ever took.I tryed to take ashort cut and wound up spending the night with the dear in the mountains cold and scared but lucky no rain.Next day I left the dear tied to a tree so cayoties couldnt drag it off.found my way to a service road 7 hrs later walked about 2 more hrs got a ride to camp at dark and never saw my dear again we searched all the next day

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad