Rainwater warning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainwater warning.

Rainwater is no longer safe to drink anywhere on Earth, due to 'forever chemicals' linked to cancer.

https://news.yahoo.com/rainwater-no-...093000206.html

Acid Rain was a term used decades ago.

Comment

I wonder if this applies to catching snowflakes on your tongue.

Comment

This is different from other contaminants. Acid Rain comes from Sulfur from coal fired electric plants. Sulfur combines with H2O and you have Sulfuric Acid. The chemicals named in article are all related to various plastics. They is in the water, air, soil (being picked up by roots of plants) in all times of the year. Article even says they diminish the effectivness of vaccines. Life would be terrible without plastics but it may come to that. BTW, I would not burn plastics as that probably puts even more in the atmosphere. For some reason there is a shortage of Helium in the atmosphere - that will affect lots of things.
        Sorry for the bad news.

Comment

Well, I don't use the gutter spout as a drinking fountain anyway -- except when I'm really, really thirsty.

No mention in the article about what is or isn't removed or neutralized by municipal water treatment systems or filtration. No mention about the levels needed to actually cause ailments. We're soaking up crap all the time anyway. Which isn't to endorse any disregard for pollution problems, but the article seems like just another edition of the daily hyperbole. Did anybody actually think that rainwater didn't contain pollutants anyway? I've always figured it did.

Comment

I would assume that people living in third world countries who had to walk for miles to bring back water to their villages would welcome rain water as a gift from heaven.

Comment

I suppose also there's a point at which the possibility of cancer thirty years down the road is outweighed by the need to not die of dehydration tomorrow.

Comment

Matt -
                Good point.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad