X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

No real cause -- for all I know, they might have had a proper camping permit for a group that size. I'll definitely contact DEC if I ever see any sign of long-term habitation.

We actually had some squatters on the family property one summer. I found the tents and at first thought it was relatives camping, but it just didn't look right. I called out, got no answer, and checked inside the tents to find actual suitcases, plus some drug paraphernalia. I called the county sheriff. As the deputy and I, and one of my cousins, were talking at the gate by the road, a Jeep full of people came along. They stopped about fifty yards down the road, turned around, and took off. My cousin packed up the tents and crap and got rid of it all. Never heard a thing about who they were, but nobody's tried it again since then.
    We had some break-ins for a couple years. One year an big, old abandoned house caught fire, probably from lightening and we have not had a problem since.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    That is a big group. Just let the game warden know what you saw and where they went.
    No real cause -- for all I know, they might have had a proper camping permit for a group that size. I'll definitely contact DEC if I ever see any sign of long-term habitation.

We actually had some squatters on the family property one summer. I found the tents and at first thought it was relatives camping, but it just didn't look right. I called out, got no answer, and checked inside the tents to find actual suitcases, plus some drug paraphernalia. I called the county sheriff. As the deputy and I, and one of my cousins, were talking at the gate by the road, a Jeep full of people came along. They stopped about fifty yards down the road, turned around, and took off. My cousin packed up the tents and crap and got rid of it all. Never heard a thing about who they were, but nobody's tried it again since then.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Kill 'em! Kill 'em all!
    They're undercover treehugger hikers! They carry their poop around in plastic bags! 👀

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    That is a big group. Just let the game warden know what you saw and where they went.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    started a topic Traveling Commune?

Traveling Commune?

A few days back, I was walking a state-land logging road and along came this caravan of 7 or 8 vehicles. There was a fair bit of snow on the ground and 3 or 4 of the vehicles were just regular sedans, plus an AWD hatchback (I think it was actually a Datsun! Like from the '80s!), but they were plowing right along. A couple cars had bundles tied down on top; one of them, a box springs and mattress.

I stepped aside and waved as they went by. Only a couple of drivers waved back. They all looked pretty scurfy, and kind of wild-eyed, to be perfectly honest. Most of the vehicles had their back ends covered with strange decals. I didn't identify a single symbol, or any initials of any kind of outdoor club, or anything.

All I can think is they were some kind of traveling commune, or something. At least one of the cars had Vermont plates (a sure sign of backwoods weirdos!). They went all the way through this patch of state land to the next main road -- maybe they were looking for a place to set up camp and didn't find a spot they liked.

Any thoughts? Gypsies? They didn't look to be any particular nationality.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad