Cougar Defending Her Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cougar Defending Her Cubs

Good video of a mountain lion ready to kick a hiker's butt after he walked up on her cubs.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ut...edgdhp&pc=U531

Click image for larger version  Name:	7D7EEA5A-8050-436F-8488-612CB97F52F9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.45 MB ID:	783296

Click image for larger version  Name:	F64EC15E-7D48-482E-BFD7-0FE310B8C19C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	783295

That tree in front is 20 yards from our box blind. Mama came walking around from behind us a week ago yesterday, maybe 15-20’ away. Last day of youth season. My daughter and I watched the four of them for almost a half hour. Took a couple short videos but unfortunately can’t post them here.

Makes walking up in the dark fun.

Edit: BTW, the gun is resting on the window ledge, not actually pointed at the bear(s).
    Last edited by fitch270; 10-19-2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I'd be MORE concerned if the barrel wasn't at least POINTED in their general direction! LOL! 😉

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	7D7EEA5A-8050-436F-8488-612CB97F52F9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.45 MB ID:	783296

Click image for larger version Name:	F64EC15E-7D48-482E-BFD7-0FE310B8C19C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	783295

That tree in front is 20 yards from our box blind. Mama came walking around from behind us a week ago yesterday, maybe 15-20’ away. Last day of youth season. My daughter and I watched the four of them for almost a half hour. Took a couple short videos but unfortunately can’t post them here.

Makes walking up in the dark fun.

Edit: BTW, the gun is resting on the window ledge, not actually pointed at the bear(s).
        Do you ever hunt bear? I can't recall you mentioning it. Our numbers up here are still pretty low, a small handful taken in the county each year. I've never really wanted to hunt them and doubt I'd shoot one as a target of opportunity if it came along and I happened to have the tag. Usually I toss the tag as soon as I get home with the license. I hear so many different opinions on what the meat is like, I wouldn't take the chance of doing all the work and not even liking what I end up with. Plus they just don't seem like game animals to me -- no judgement of all the bear hunters out there. Bears just seem like something different.

Last edited by MattM37; 10-20-2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

The bear hunting question is a bit muddled.

As much as I’d like to add a bear skull to the man cave I haven’t had any interest in killing one just for that. I question the meat quality as well plus don’t want the expense of even a tanned hide I don’t really have a place for.

On the flip side their numbers just keep increasing even though we’ve had a season for going on ten years or more. Since sows and their cubs are off limits they’re going to keep on expanding. If a good sized lone bear gave me the perfect 20 yard angle with my bow I might just take the shot, but it wouldn’t be something I was out to do.

Youth Hunt write up is on OL, long story short what initially appeared to be a lost deer likely wasn’t hit that bad. After a three hour tracking job that night it took going back up the next day to find a better clue as to what happened. A small amount of white belly hair at the impact spot indicates she skinned it very low, just enough blood trail to follow. Missed finding the hair initially.

Comment

The bear hunting question is a bit muddled.

As much as I’d like to add a bear skull to the man cave I haven’t had any interest in killing one just for that. I question the meat quality as well plus don’t want the expense of even a tanned hide I don’t really have a place for.

On the flip side their numbers just keep increasing even though we’ve had a season for going on ten years or more. Since sows and their cubs are off limits they’re going to keep on expanding. If a good sized lone bear gave me the perfect 20 yard angle with my bow I might just take the shot, but it wouldn’t be something I was out to do.

Youth Hunt write up is on OL, long story short what initially appeared to be a lost deer likely wasn’t hit that bad. After a three hour tracking job that night it took going back up the next day to find a better clue as to what happened. A small amount of white belly hair at the impact spot indicates she skinned it very low, just enough blood trail to follow. Missed finding the hair initially.
            I was actually just typing another edit to my post -- after having asked, I thought of OL and went there, and read your recaps. Wish I'd thought of that first and not poked the sore spot for you; sorry.

I hope the spirits are a little higher now that a few days have passed.

Comment

It is what it is, no excuses, she just made a bad shot.

My guess is nerves, this week in our league she shot a score of 270 out of 300.

She beat me.

Comment

It is what it is, no excuses, she just made a bad shot.

My guess is nerves, this week in our league she shot a score of 270 out of 300.

She beat me.
                Cool. I hadn't actually read through far enough to see the part where you'd figured out it was likely just a graze.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Do you ever hunt bear? I can't recall you mentioning it. Our numbers up here are still pretty low, a small handful taken in the county each year. I've never really wanted to hunt them and doubt I'd shoot one as a target of opportunity if it came along and I happened to have the tag. Usually I toss the tag as soon as I get home with the license. I hear so many different opinions on what the meat is like, I wouldn't take the chance of doing all the work and not even liking what I end up with. Plus they just don't seem like game animals to me -- no judgement of all the bear hunters out there. Bears just seem like something different.
                  You don't want to release your inner meat eater and make bear grease?

Comment

I was actually just typing another edit to my post -- after having asked, I thought of OL and went there, and read your recaps. Wish I'd thought of that first and not poked the sore spot for you; sorry.

I hope the spirits are a little higher now that a few days have passed.
                    How was your cast and blast camping trip. Get any birds? I've been surrounded by doe the last couple evenings. I may need to stick one . On the way out of the woods last night coyotes followed me for a while.
                    I have a 1.5 mile walk from that tree.

Comment

Do coyotes make good soup? 😃

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        Do coyotes make good soup? 😃
                        Don't know. Never been invited over.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

How was your cast and blast camping trip. Get any birds? I've been surrounded by doe the last couple evenings. I may need to stick one . On the way out of the woods last night coyotes followed me for a while.
                          I have a 1.5 mile walk from that tree.
                          I ended up just fishing each day. Weather was mostly warm, the rivers were at a perfect level and still (just barely) warm enough for wet-wading. Did not catch a single smallmouth but the browns were pretty cooperative -- lots more follows than hits, which seems pretty typical in the fall, but got a few each day. I lost one true monster, felt like possibly the biggest trout of my life, felt like a king salmon. Had him on for about three seconds, saw one yellowish flash and some spots, and he was gone. Amazing how often the "big one that got away" really happens.

Decided not to camp out, not wanting to bother with all the tick precautions since it was so warm, plus just being generally lazy. I like that kind of vacation, though, just getting up when I want, taking my time, driving out to the river when I get around to it, and fishing 'til dark.

Saw a couple mink, lots of different kinds of ducks, couple of flocks of turkeys along the river bank.

My cousin who hunts grouse has been out with his dog a couple times and says they don't seem to be around much, and they're not seeing any woodcock yet, either. I did see a few young-of-the-year grouse last month when I was driving and hiking the logging roads.

Coyotes: I have to admit, when they're yipping and yowling all around, all that knowledge about how unlikely it is that they'll go after a human, just kind of goes right out of my head. Definitely gets the blood pumping.

Last edited by MattM37; 10-20-2021, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

Don't know. Never been invited over.
                            Me either. Not sure why.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0A94334-9DC4-4A21-94AE-FD2ECA44BB1D.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	783358

Comment

I ended up just fishing each day. Weather was mostly warm, the rivers were at a perfect level and still (just barely) warm enough for wet-wading. Did not catch a single smallmouth but the browns were pretty cooperative -- lots more follows than hits, which seems pretty typical in the fall, but got a few each day. I lost one true monster, felt like possibly the biggest trout of my life, felt like a king salmon. Had him on for about three seconds, saw one yellowish flash and some spots, and he was gone. Amazing how often the "big one that got away" really happens.

Decided not to camp out, not wanting to bother with all the tick precautions since it was so warm, plus just being generally lazy. I like that kind of vacation, though, just getting up when I want, taking my time, driving out to the river when I get around to it, and fishing 'til dark.

Saw a couple mink, lots of different kinds of ducks, couple of flocks of turkeys along the river bank.

My cousin who hunts grouse has been out with his dog a couple times and says they don't seem to be around much, and they're not seeing any woodcock yet, either. I did see a few young-of-the-year grouse last month when I was driving and hiking the logging roads.

Coyotes: I have to admit, when they're yipping and yowling all around, all that knowledge about how unlikely it is that they'll go after a human, just kind of goes right out of my head. Definitely gets the blood pumping.
                              Nice, meant to ask about it myself.

The bird situation is disappointing but I’m sort of glad it’s not just me. I’ve hit three good covers up over a couple days earlier this month and didn’t get a single flush. So far this fall I’ve seen exactly one grouse on a roadside, just today in fact.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad