Family Found Dead on Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Found Dead on Trail

This is strange. Reports I read today said that the only cause of death they'd ruled out so far was death by any kind of weapon. Mine gas and water poisoned by toxic plants were still possibilities, they said.

https://tucson.com/news/national/fam...a5685f646.html

Several decades back, they found people dead in a valley around a lake in Chad (I think?)
    Several hundred died and looked as though they died peacefully. No visible trauma.
    Autopsies revealed that they had all died of "hydrogen sulfide" poisoning. Hydrogen sulfide is fatal in concentrations as low as 60ppm!

The best guess was that there had been a buildup of the gas under the lake. When the lake "turned over", it released enough hydrogen sulfide to wipe out the people around the lake.

If they were near a mine or a lake, a release of hydrogen sulfide could have done it.

Comment

Saw this elsewhere, someone mentioned if it was the result of poison gas that there would be other dead critters lying about. Doesn’t seem to have happened in this case.

Comment

Had to wear them in the steel mills in the melt shops and basements. Know a couple of guy who ran melt shop cranes who have permanent damage from a dose off the furnace or a pot. Also have has to respond in scbas to go get crane operators after the alarms go off. Scary shit because once level gets Hugh enough you can’t smell it. If you can smell it your safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          Had to wear them in the steel mills in the melt shops and basements. Know a couple of guy who ran melt shop cranes who have permanent damage from a dose off the furnace or a pot. Also have has to respond in scbas to go get crane operators after the alarms go off. Scary shit because once level gets Hugh enough you can’t smell it. If you can smell it your safe.
          As I understand it, H2S kills the odor receptors in your nose.
          Neato, huh?

In the water industry, it's encountered in confined spaces more than anywhere else.
          We were "taught" if the concentration is high enough to smell, it's too late.

Comment

It's a common danger on oil rigs. There are monitors that sound a warning. Not sure what the difference was but they said there is no smell, and it's very dangerous. Might have been brief so no wildlife killed.

Comment

Speculation in today's news that it was a lightning strike. ??? I've never seen a lightning-struck person but it seems they wouldn't be left completely unmarked.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                Speculation in today's news that it was a lightning strike. ??? I've never seen a lightning-struck person but it seems they wouldn't be left completely unmarked.
                Guess it all depends on the proximity of the strike. I understand direct hits cause major damage.

Maybe they were just close enough to cause cardiac arrest.
                Lightening is some nasty stuff.

Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-10-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad