Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do deers eat small birds and small animal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbivores will make use of any available protein source. This includes raiding bird nests. They don't have to be starving.

Comment

Beekeeper is right, as a Forestry Tech, I've seen it be more of a protein defficiency rather than a calcium deff.

Comment

48 hours ago I would have said no they do not eat meat. But last evening my Daughter and I saw something that changed my thinking. We where watching a doe and it's last year fawns at our bird feeder when a small bird flew down and landed by the doe the deer was courious and nosed/licked it three times than lost interest, one of the fawns then went to it , licked it once than picked it up and chomped it in half, chewed and swallowed,then picked up the rest and downed that to! I have hunted deer for over thirty years and watch them all the time and I couldnt believe it myself!! Maybe the mothers sent on the bird prompted the young to think it was ok to eat, I really do not know. N Minnesota the land of meat eating deer!!

Comment

This is a very interesting question. In my youth the farmers of this area would catch river run sucker fish and put them around fruit trees. I was a very young man and I never did know this reason for this activity, but all of the local farmers did it. Back to the question, I have seen deer feed on these decaying fish and on many occasions.

Comment

There is documented scientific literature out there showing (video) of deer eating nestlings from bird nests. Small birds that nest in the same grasses the deer are browsing.

Comment

Here's the article I was thinking of:
              http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1674/0003-0031(2000)144%5B0419%3AWTDOVP%5D2.0.CO%3B2?cookieS et=1&journalCode=amid

Comment

That article also references several more articles about nestling predation, predation on birds caught in mist nets, and eating of fish.

Comment

Just a little addition here, I learned a few weeks later that the bird that was eaten by the deer was a Redpull and that it was probly sick from eating sunflower seeds that where on the ground to long, found several that had died. I hear that they get a type of food poisining fron that. That explains why it did not fly away.

Comment

mostly all the birds are plant eaters

Comment

Most deers are vegetarians but some will eat bird eggs and sometimes birds.

Comment

no

Comment

Deer are herbavores. But they may accidently eat some bugs, but it doesn't get digested.

Comment

i dont think so

Comment

deer do eat birds ebcause of their nutrients in their bodys

Comment

deer do eat birds ebcause of their nutrients in their bodys

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad