Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shark Attacks!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shark Attacks!

    According to Good Morning America (unimpeachable source!), it's important that we stop saying "shark attacks." We need to start calling them "negative encounters with sharks." The phrase "shark attack," you see, contributes to the villainizing of sharks and creates an atmosphere in which people will be less likely to care about conservation of the species.

    This stuff is just plain flabbergasting sometimes.


  • #2
    The story also appears on the OL main page.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
      The story also appears on the OL main page.
      Thanks. That article is better than the GMA report. I can see the differences they point out, not that any of it would mean much to the person in the water.

      Comment


      • #4
        They can PC it all they want but I don't think the shark cares. And I don't care if the shark's feelings get hurt. Gonna do what they do.

        Comment


        • #5
          Matt, this is the kind of thing that the millennials in your other thread get. Eventually there’s going to be push back.

          Comment


          • #6
            The chamber of commerce prefers to call them shark encounters.
            The word "negative" is superfluous.
            Last edited by 99explorer; 07-22-2021, 11:59 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              According to Good Morning America (unimpeachable source!), it's important that we stop saying "shark attacks." We need to start calling them "negative encounters with sharks." The phrase "shark attack," you see, contributes to the villainizing of sharks and creates an atmosphere in which people will be less likely to care about conservation of the species.

              This stuff is just plain flabbergasting sometimes.
              impeccible

              Comment


              • #8
                So it’s not Gun violence then, rather negative firearm encounters?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  So it’s not Gun violence then, rather negative firearm encounters?
                  Good one! I'd love to pose that question to a lefty newsmedia type and listen to them fumble around trying to answer it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                    The chamber of commerce prefers to call them shark encounters.
                    The word "negative" is superfluous.
                    Well, it could be superfluous, but a positive shark encounter is possible, like watching one from a safe place.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ernest Hemingway used to shoot sharks from a boat with a submachine gun to protect his tuna catch that was tied to the side of his boat.
                      I guess that would be a positive encounter.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        So it’s not Gun violence then, rather negative firearm encounters?
                        A lot of shooters are seen wearing hoodies - I think hoodies shoulld be outlawed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My wife wonders why talk about to moving to Alaska and going off grid.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                            My wife wonders why talk about to moving to Alaska and going off grid.
                            Rough life.

                            Comment

                            Welcome!

                            Collapse

                            Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                            If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                            And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                            Right Rail 1

                            Collapse

                            Top Active Users

                            Collapse

                            There are no top active users.

                            Right Rail 2

                            Collapse

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            • Reply to VooDoo
                              by franchi20
                              Almost all of the Haitian immigrants at Del Rio came from Chile and left the ground littered with paper work that would get them deported because of residency...
                              Today, 05:17 PM
                            • VooDoo
                              by jhjimbo
                              These are the people streaming into the U.S. ilegially.
                              https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...IRBPRS&first=1...
                              09-19-2021, 04:17 AM
                            • Reply to Real Quiet
                              by crm3006
                              From BH75R- " But to be fair, that could also be said about me by a few on the site........"

                              Possibly by the two morons, maybe...
                              Today, 04:59 PM
                            • Real Quiet
                              by jhjimbo
                              Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
                              09-17-2021, 12:23 AM
                            • Reply to New 4 X 16 - 44mm
                              by Danbo
                              Would anybody build a specialty firearm for this encounter with Bigfoot?...
                              Today, 04:57 PM

                            Right Rail 3

                            Collapse

                            Footer Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X